How far to plant a Japanese weeping cherry and a curly willow from a well?

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by swan831, Aug 12, 2008.

1. swan831

swan831 Member

I know that certain trees will interfere with a septic but what about a well? I have a Japanese weeping cherry that we just planted about 10 feet from our well and a curly willow that we just planted about 15 feet from the well. Should we move them or will they be okay. Is the septic our only worry?
    Thanks,
    Karen

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Depends on the construction of the well. Will the top 4 metres or so have a waterproof sheathing? If yes, then you could put the trees right next to the well. If not, you'd need to keep them some distance away, the willow probably at least 40 metres away for safety.

3. swan831

swan831 Member

Thanks. I don't know what sheathing is but I'll talk to my hubby about it. This is a well that supplies our water in our house and I know that the pipes are steel.
    Karen

4. koipondgardener

koipondgardener Active Member

You could probably plant the weeping cherry fairly close (1-2 metres) and be fine. The willow on the other hand would penetrate a concrete well or septic tank without blinking in the first 2-3 years if planted very close. In my opinion no matter what kind of sheathing or whatever there is for protection it is not worth your money to plant a tree and then 10 years later have a problem with the well and have to dig around it, in the mean time having to rip out the tree in the process to get to it. Just my 2 cents.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sorry, sheathing = the pipes. If they're steel, then you have no problems at all. Roots can't penetrate steel.