Acer palmatum 'Purple Ghost'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Aug 31, 2004.

1. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This photo of my Purple Ghost was taken May 5, 2008. The colors on all my maples this year are a little strange because we've had frost almost every night even into early May this year. About 90% of my maples are 3-4 weeks behind last year's leafing out dates, and this delay has produced brighter colors in some but lesser colors in others this spring. By the way, the yellow leaf in this photo is the underside of an adjacent leaf illuminated by late afternoon sun.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  2. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi all,

I am attaching a pic of my purple ghost from last year next to a first ghost. Enjoy! Sam

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  3. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

That's a good shot of both plants...I can't wait to order Purple Ghost! David

4. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

Here is a picture of my Purple ghost, a 2yr now. Leafed out late and with smaller leaves than I remember. I wonder if it stressed out this winter with all the snow and ice. The bark looks hardy, with no dieback except the terminal bud at top.

This gets currently about 3-4 hours of sun in the AM.

Mike

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  5. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Hey, it's nice to see another Mainah here.

I wonder if the kind of spring we've had -- quite cool and breezy, with very few really warm days, at least up here off Penobscot Bay -- might have inhibited the leafing-out? (I'm in a brand-new place and had no Japanese maples in the ground over the winter, so I can't offer any personal comparisons.)

Also, is that a nursery pot sunk in the ground that the tree is growing in? If so, might that have constricted root development and had some kind of dwarfing effect?

6. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

kaspian,
    Actually, that's a liner cut up and used to pile mulch around the base of the trunk, but not against it. It's in a 3 gallon pot.
    For comparison, the First Ghost, same age, has grown about a foot or so on multiple trunks, the grandma ghost, not the same, but has quite large leaves. The purple ghost is not so vigourous yet, but I will admit to repotting it two weeks later than the First and grandma ghost.

Most of my maple are in pots, as I keep them in fairly light soil, and can move them around during the spring summer to suit them best. I bury them late fall in the ground. This year the snow actually compacted to ice in the last 3-4 inches (as you may have seen), and this I think got some maples roots too moist, or dry (little melt through?), not sure. Definetely lost a few branches this winter, but I am over it.

7. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hello all,
    Well, I just got in my Purple Ghost last friday (thank you thank you thank you SAM!!!!!) It is absolutely gorgeous. I love it!!!!!! It is probably my favorite Ghost so far--I just need to get the other ones to make sure! Here it is:

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  8. Maple_Lady

Hi David,

Great pics! You are the mapleman. Sam

9. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hey Sam,
    Thanks! I hope that it will have many more seasons to grow...and it will get prettier every year! Truly a wonderful maple!

~Mapleman (LOL)

10. JoeMaple85

JoeMaple85 Active Member

Those leaves are so pretty :)

11. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

My "Purple Ghost" went from the orange reds of the early spring to this deep dark chocolate purple. Is any one else seeing the same?? This is my first year with this tree. It has been in a pot in part sun. Just curious. I really didn't expect it to be so dark. Let me know.

Cirque

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  12. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

My experience with Purple Ghost is that it seems to show some variability in color and texture from year to year. The first photo on the left was taken May 7, 2006 when this particular cultivar was newly transplanted, and the color seems similar to what Cirque is experiencing now. The second photo was taken of the same plant on July 10, 2007, and as you can see, the colors are totally different, but of course it's moved to summer mode by July. This is a dramatic plant, something of a Diva.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  13. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Cirque--I am having similar colors, and I have only had it for a week and a half! I have seen many pictures, though, and I think that you are all right. Purple Ghost darkens by midsummer (given enough sun) and should stay that way for most, if not all of, the year.

David

14. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

One more thing: The colors that I have above on post #32 have darkened considerably since then and are now darker, more like your color.

15. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

Purple Ghost taken July 17, wonderful new growth.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  16. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Nice color Cirque, it reminds me sort of Kasagiyama spring color, which just happens to be it's parent...I think that it may be one of my favorites!

Regards,
    David

17. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

Another shot of my Purple Ghost. It has the most vigorous summer growth of any of my maples. Amazing!!

Cirque

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  18. Maple_Lady

Hi Cirque,

Thank you for sharing your pics of this special ghost. The new growth color is quite exquisite. It is one of my favorites also. Sam

19. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

I agree with several posts above that Purple Ghost color can be variable.
    I've had one for 4 years, it is 6 ft tall & broad now and only this year 2008
    has the tree had the spectacular dark purple-red seen in the classic pictures
    in the books. The tree is in full sun til 4-5PM and it gets hot here 85-105 and
    yet only in the last week of July has the tree begun to lose its color with leaves
    turning reddish with an orange center (looks like sugar depletion with accumulated
    heat). I gave up thinking this Purple Ghost would turn purple but this year the tree
    was gorgeous and held its color stubbornly despite direct sun May, June, July which
    also surprised me. It is good to be surprised - as I like to say our trees don't read the
    books! It became one of my favorite cultivars in 2008.

20. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

Ok, I can't help it! Here's another pic of the new growth on my Purple Ghost. I really think that if someone twisted my arm and I had to choose, Purple Ghost would have to be my favorite this year!!........well...........maybe...........there are SO MANY!

Cirque

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  21. ekbnw

ekbnw Member

Hello Cirque,

Those leaves are gorgeous. I don't have any "ghosts" yet..but will probably start collecting those soon. My question here is..in your pic in post #42, what is the maple to the right of your Purple Ghost?

Elle

22. Maple_Lady

Hi all,

Yep Purple Ghost has to be one of my favs especially when it first leaves out in the spring. Plenty of sun ensures the best purple foliage - drop dead gorgeous. Sam

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  23. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hi Sam,

Yes, this Ghost seems to be a favorite. I think that this one and Amber Ghost have to be my favorites of the Ghosts...although they are all pretty. I just wanted to ask you (Sam) if your P. Ghosts are greening out a little bit. Mine is in almost full sun, taking it quite well for down here, but some of the leaves are almost all green! It looks spectacularly variegated, but where did the deep chocolate-purple go on some of the leaves?

David

24. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

Hi Elle, the maple to the right of "Purple Ghost' is 'Mikawa yatsubusa'.

Cirque

25. ekbnw

ekbnw Member

Hi Cirque...

Thought so...but wasn't 100% sure. Thanks!

Elle