Scented Hostas.

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by diane wells, Aug 1, 2008.

1. diane wells

diane wells Member

I am and have always been a lover of hostas and have many different varieties in my garden. However, recently a friend of mine came back from a visit to Germany and has told me about a large scented hosta that is grown in abundance. I have been trying to find out about this species in England but to no avail. Help. Can any one tell me the variety of this hosta as I would love to have it in my collection. Regards Diane

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

We grow the species Hosta, Hosta plantaginea, this has scented white flowers. It prefers full sun.
    According to the RHS Plantfinder you may be able to buy one at Mickfield Hostas at Stowmarked in Suffolk.

Attached Files:

3. diane wells

diane wells Member

Many thanks for that. I live on the Suffolk/Norfolk Borders and Stowmarket is not that far from me so ill go and have a look. Many thanks again. Regards Diane.

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

Most of the varieties with H. plantaginea as a parent are also scented......white flowers generally indicate H. plantaginea heritage.

Tony Avent at PDN in North Carolina has the best write up I've ever seen on the species.
    PDN - Hosta plantaginea

5. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I have the double flowered form of H. plantaginea. There is no question that it is one of the most fragrant hostas available, but in the 10 years that I have had it, it had only flowered successfully four times. It seems to require the perfect combination of consistently moist, organic rich soil, right day time temperature and cooler night temperatures. A single night of high temperature was the presumed cause of the flowers failing in two of those barren 6 years. It is a really frustrating hosta - the flower spikes form, buds start to whiten, and just as you think the flowers would open within the next few days, the whole thin then droop, turn yellow and fail.

However, of the fragrant hostas in our garden, the best are the very "old" Honeybells, and the newer Fried Green Tomatoes. Either are far superior to Royal Standard.

6. diane wells

diane wells Member

They sound superb. Shame about the double H. plantaginea though. The more hostas I seem to get the more I find there are. They really give such a lovely show. Thank you all for your help im now going out to look for all the ones you have told me about. Regards Diane - UK

7. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

I've had great success with Guacamole, it has been a vigorous grower and willing bloomer. Same with So Sweet, although its flowers and overall stature are somewhat smaller than Guacamole's. Acquired a plantaginea 'Venus' last year and while scapes and buds developed, I never did see any flowers as the plant went into senescence before they opened up. Hopefully this year I'll have better luck.

8. diane wells

diane wells Member

Many thanks for your reply. Ill look into both varieties. Hope you get more luck with flowers this year.

Its surprising how many people out there love hostas.

Regards Diane.

9. maggiec

maggiec Active Member 10 Years

I have a h. plantaginea 'Aphrodite' that has fantastic fragrance - very strong but pure. However, I divided it and it never seemed to recover its vigour. Meanwhile my sister gave me a division of an unnamed cultivar, likely also a plantaginea but with somewhat smaller leaves, and it is amazingly tough, growing and spreading in terrible soil. The scent is wonderful too, more like freesias. I also found 'Invincible' has a nice scent -not as strong but wafts nicely when you're in the vicinity. The flowers are pale lilac. If I see 'Aphrodite' I'll definitely buy another plant.