Aphids? on Flowering Maple

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by terri g, Aug 5, 2008.

1. terri g

terri g Member

My flowering maple is experiencing an aphid infestation whereby they're clustering on the ends of stems and flowers. Plus, the plant is producing a sticky sap which might be attracting them. Is that normal? What should I do to get rid of the aphids?
    Thanks,
    Terri G

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The sticky sap is probably coming out the back ends of the aphids.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Maples often have high aphid populations, not a lot you can really do about it. Best is to encourage a high population of natural aphid predators (hoverflies, lady beetles, lacewings, etc.) by not using any insecticides.

4. terri g

terri g Member

Thanks for your suggestions. Do you think a spray of dilute soapy water would help?
    Terri G

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Probably not. It would kill off the predators as well as the aphids, but the aphid numbers would bounce back much more quickly and be worse than before with no predators around to eat them.

6. terri g

terri g Member

Thanks, Michael. I was wondering how you'd acquire or attract these natural predators.
    Teresa

7. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

I would say use some soapy water. You're never going to get enough control from natural predators now that the Aphid population has reached the amount your seeing.

If you can reach the infested areas from a nozzle on your water hose, that'll do the trick too. You don't necessarily need soap.