Preventing Sempervivum Blooming

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by cjjulian, Aug 3, 2008.

1. cjjulian

cjjulian Active Member

Is there a way to prevent blooming of these plants. The flowers are gorgeous and everything but, I really like the "Hens & Chick" look instead of a dead area of the plant. I was hoping that they will shoot some off-sets when blooming but mine has not.

Can I just "dead-head" the plant?

2. constantgardener

constantgardener Active Member 10 Years

Info from nurseries is that it's useless to try to stop these plants from blooming by cutting off the stem. Since it takes 2 or 3 years before they bloom, you should have plenty of offsets to fill in the blank area after "mom" blooms and dies.

3. jerrman

jerrman Member

That is a good question. I was given three sempervivum rosettes and all three bloomed. I was also wondering if they would produce babies but it does not appear that way.
    Now all i have left is one with a huge blooming stem.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

they usually put out babies before the bloom stem starts going. i've had some that didn't though.

5. cjjulian

cjjulian Active Member

My live forevers are no longer living forever. They did shoot out some nice white blooms and my cobwebs have a nice clump of purple flowers. Im just hoping that everything doesnt shoot out with flowers like my "live forevers" did. So far looking good!

6. Analogdog

Analogdog Active Member 10 Years

I wonder if your Semperviviums are in a place that is too hot or dry to do well. They are maritime climate plants, which are succulent due to living in places where water is not available for short times, but not true desert.

Try watering them like any non-succulent in your garden. I suspect they will start to pup. Mine live along side non succulent plants, and I provide them the same watering.

7. artflag

artflag Member

I will try to collect seeds of blooming plant let them dry and separate maybe you will get a new variety and i also find peat moss added to mixture really gets them growing i design these guys into containers nd do well people love them as for the flowers well you like them or you do not i personnaly only like them when they are part of the art in my container

8. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Artflag. Punctuation would really be appreciated to help understand your post.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  9. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Let me try to set this out in my own mind:

ECHIEVERIA, Crassulaceae, will send up blooms from between the fleshy leaves and will continue to bloom as well as "pup" out new plants.

SEMPERVIVUM, Houseleek or Hen & Chicks. The Mother plant will put up a thick, bloom stalk, more like a continuation of the center of her whorls of leaves, bloom and then die. Usually she has put out some "pups" to cary on.

They are all "Crassulaceae"

It took a while for me to absorb this bit of info as to why some of my "hen & chicks", as I wrongfully called them all, continued and some didn't. Duhhhhh! This may be old info to all of you but it took me a while, and this forum, to sort it all out. barb