Schefflera actinophylla

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by lemonblueberry, Aug 4, 2008.

1. lemonblueberry

lemonblueberry Member

Schefflera; Umbrella tree-Brassaia actinophylla

I have a top of a Schefflera actinophylla. I ripped it off of my sisters tree that is about 7 ft tall about 5 months ago. I put the tip in some potting soil and it's grown very very little since I planted it 5 months ago. Here is a photo. Anyone know how long it takes for these to get bigger & grow leaves? Should I keep this baby in shade or sun? I live in west central Florida. Also, would coffee grounds & egg shells help this little tree? Thank you.

I also attached a photo of a grown Schefflera actinophylla.

One more thing :) If and when this tree gets bigger is it safe to plant in the ground? I have septic, how far away should it be from the septic system? thanks

Attached Files:

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Hi,
    Before thinking about planting the tree outside, please read other people's experience with their umbrella tree, found on this website. Please note how invasive the roots can become. My concern is that having a septic tank/field, the invasive roots can find and overgrow your pipes and cause damage.

But before it gets to that stage - here's a few things to help your plant grow:
    - Mix in some soil conditioner (such as organic mushroom manure) to keep the potted soil fertile and moist. Your potting soil will deteriorate over time, and the nutrient, moisture content and soil fertility will also decrease. You can also mix in humus and compost to add moisture and organic matter to the soil.
    - Use a little bit of soil acidifier - the plant prefers to grow in slightly acidic conditions.
    - Compost will work a lot better than adding eggshells and coffee grounds individually since compost has a better balance of nutrients.
    - In the greenhouse, use a shade cloth to grow the plant under direct sunlight, or put it in place where it will receive indirect sunlight.

With the proper conditions, your plant should be growing large leaves in a year or two. If you do end up wanting to plant it outside, consider containing it in a VERY large and deep pot that has holes poked in for drainage (leave lots of room for root growth) to ensure it does not get into the septic pipes.

It's a beautiful plant and I hope it grows well for you.

3. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I agree with the above, hear in QLD or South East corner anyway it has become a pest and invasive, especially the roots. Not one to put in the ground near pipes.

Ed