Bomarea

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by mommum, Jun 24, 2008.

1. mommum

mommum Member

Hi All

Is anyone out there growing any Bomarea's? I have some that I am growing that I hope will bloom this year or maybe next year.
    Does anyone know of any sources for them here in Canada? Or even a seed source?

Thanks

Bea

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I do I do I do. But then again, I'm in their native territory. A few native pics and some species info here.

Seed sources - I like B&T World Seeds - they're quite reliable and sometimes they have B. hirsuta as well as B. caldasii; I might also be able to put you in touch with a lady who is also growing it in BC.

Or are you the Bea I've been talking to on email?

3. mommum

mommum Member

Hi Beth

Yes it is me:) here in sunny BC, finally spring is here. Thanks for the link. You have some beautiful photos on there. I have an update for you and will send a private e-mail soon.
    I am always looking for the Bomarea seeds or other wise as you know how much I love them:)

Going back to browse and read some more on your site.

Bea

4. eddyst

eddyst Member

Hi Bea
    I have been growing Bomarea's for some years and I am constantly looking for new species to grow from seed. They are hard to find, so I was hoping to meet someone on the internet who shares the same passion and swpping seeds. When I sas your post, I've registred right away. I am living in Belgium, defenitively in another climate.
    Eddy

5. mommum

mommum Member

Hi Eddy
    Nice to meet you.! That is so neat to find another Bomarea grower. I don't think there are many of us. Well at least I haven't found them. I love the Bomarea's and can't get enough of them.
    You are in Belgium and I don't think it would be a lot different than here. I am on Vancouver Island where the climate is very mild compared to the rest of Canada. I think it is a lot like England, rains all winter, spring and fall.

It is so nice to meet you well will have to compare notes on what we are growing. Most of mine do not have names so that makes it a bit difficult and most haven't bloomed yet either but I have my camera ready and fingers crossed.

Bea

6. eddyst

eddyst Member

Hi Bea and all
    Our climate has changed a lot and has become much milder. Plants that were grown in tubs 20 years ago are now in the open. Of course light intensity hasn't altered and this will be far higher where you live.
    Whenever I have two Bomarea's, I keep one in a pot and another in the open.
    Eddy

7. mommum

mommum Member

That's a clever idea Eddy!

I started some Bomarea from seed and several sprouted this spring so I too for the first time have planted a couple of those outside under a cherry tree. Not quite the tropical trees of South America but it will do:) This is the first time I am trying that as up to now only had one of each and didn't want to risk loosing any:) I am finding many things grow here that were thought to be only tropical. We get a frost that knocks back the foliage but they come back in the spring. Every year I am trying more things outside. I am taking cuttings of lots of things this fall and letting even more plants stay and will see next spring how they do.

Bea

Bea

8. eddyst

eddyst Member

Hi Bea
    In my experience, winter wet is more harmful to 'tender' plants than frost. Of course, the combination of both is even worse. As for Bomarea, I think the altitude (height) where they grow, is the most important factor for the hardiness; The nights in these high mountain forests can be pretty cold, so these plants have adapted to it. I have several Callistemon growing in the open in my garden. They come unharmed through each winter.
    Eddy

9. mommum

mommum Member

Eddy I think you are right about the winter wet. I can grow lots of things here if I am careful about the winter wet. I have cannas that do very well but as you probably know they often rot in this wet climate over winter. I put down a sheet of plastic or use these row covers that I have on my beds wherever there are types that I need to protect from all that rain we get every winter. It helps deflect the water. I will do the same for the Bomarea's that I have outdoors and see how it goes.
    I am anxiously waiting on one that has buds to open up so I can see how pretty they are. Everything is late this year but they are starting to perk up now. We had such a cold spring nothing really got going for so long.
    Bea

10. eddyst

eddyst Member

Hi Bea
    We had the same problems in spring. Wet but not cold. Then, at the beginning of April, we at a very beautiful spell with temperatures around 25° C. Now we get alternating weeks of wet and relatively low temps and then, like last week, good growing weather of 25 to 31° C.
    I've been waiting for a 'new' Bomarea to bloom to send you a mail. He seems to be at a standstill.
    I've been asking myself (and others) if Bomarea hirtella and B. edulis are in fact synonyms. So I've put the question to the Royal Horticultural Society in England. They have answered that this is the kind of questions they like to get but that they do not now the answer. So if anyone out there knows ...
    Eddy

11. mommum

mommum Member

Hi Eddy

I have read the same about those two possible being the same. I have what is supposed to be Bomarea hirtella that hasn't bloomed for me yet. Maybe it will this summer?? Do you have B. edulis? We could compare photo's when they bloom.
    Bea

12. eddyst

eddyst Member

Hi Bea
    I have Bomarea hirtella in bloom now for several weeks. It is hardy here though my plant in a pot grows better than those in the open. I have seedlings of B. edulis, so later I hope to be able to compare. I think that within a Bomarea species, there is a lot of variation. When you google for Bomarea caldasii and then click on images, you get that Bomarea in colours from yellow to red. What is the sizze of your hirtella and how many stems does he have?
    Eddy

13. mommum

mommum Member

14. mommum

mommum Member

I just went out to look and see which ones are setting buds and my B. hirtella has a few buds on it. It is the one I sent you a photo of. They still need some time to open but are getting there. We will have to compare and see if they are the same. Be sure to take some photo of your blooms too.

I have another one labeled as B. sp. red . Beyond that I don't know which one it is. It too is setting a couple of bud clusters. First time, so maybe we will be able to identify some of these as they bloom. It is so hard to find any good info about these though to get an acurate id. Tropicos is the place I have found the most info but not with photos. Would love to see more photos of them, then I might be able to say ah yes that's the one:)

Bea

15. mommum

mommum Member

forgot to mention I have several seedling of B. hirtella from the spring. I plan to keep them because I don't know that the seed were properly identified so until they grow up and I know I won't know for sure.
    I do not have the B. edulis though. I am glad you do and it will be fun to see what they grow up as.

Bea

Bea

16. eddyst

eddyst Member

The Bomarea seedlings I got as B. edulis are growing very strongly (25 cm high) whereas the Bomarea multiflora from Chiltern seed which germinated almost at the same time are only 5 cm high. I'd like the edulis to flower to be able to compare.
    Eddy

17. eddyst

eddyst Member