What if I don't listen to my doctor

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by TotalAlina, Jul 26, 2008.

1. TotalAlina

TotalAlina Active Member 10 Years

This seems like an embarrassing basic botany-for-dummies question. I probably even studied this in grade school (at least, I am sure I was supposed to...). But here goes:

I am allergic to some grass and tree pollen. My 'kind' allergist suggested that I get rid of all my houseplants, just to be on the safe side. When he saw that this didn't sit well with me at all, he said I can keep them if I can make sure they are all female and don't produce pollen. (That's what he said -- are these synonymous things?)

I have one flowering rose indoors. Otherwise, my plants either don't flower at all (e.g., dracaenas), or if they do, they haven't yet at this point in their lives (e.g., cacti). Is it possible that they are still producing pollen, even if they don't flower? Does it depend on what kind of plant it is? How can I tell? If they do flower, will they automatically produce pollen? Am I forever to avoid any flowering plants at all?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts on this. You can probably sense that I have a lot of confusion on the plant gender - flower - pollen issue. I can provide a complete list of my plants, if the answers are plant-specific.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Plants that have conspicuous flowers as a general rule don't release pollen into the air - they are insect-pollinated, so the pollen stays in place waiting for an insect to gather it. So they are no risk to you at all.

Wind-pollinated flowers which do shed pollen into the air are generally inconspicuous, since they do not want to attract anything that might eat the pollen.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

if you're only allergic to grass and some trees, then just don't grow those particular things - indoors or outside in your flowerbeds. just because you are allergic to one or two things does NOT mean you're allergic to everything! and if you know such specifics about what bothers you, that means you had the testing done, so you know what doesn't bother you.

sounds like you need a new allergist!!

i had a doctor tell me once that i shouldn't ever use perfume because i have asthma. i only use one thing - specifically because it doesn't bother me. and twenty years later i still use the same thing and it still doesn't bother the asthma.

what michael said is true...so, if you're all that worried about having an issue, grow plants that need some kind of insect or bug to pollinate. cacti and succulents fall into that group, so you're safe there. and the rose if fine, too.

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

I would wait for a day that you are feeling pretty good and not stuffed up or what ever your symptoms are .. and then go around and sniff every houseplant you have .. wait a few mins inbetween each one .. you will know within a few mins if you are haveing a reaction to them (just like getting around a cat when you are allergic to them) . .. but im pretty sure you wouldnt be allergic to any houseplants..

Marion

5. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

If I could, I would like to weigh in on this. I have been a respiratory therapist for 22 years and work side-by-side with allergists and pulmonologists in a large, metropolitan hospital. It is my job to help folks find practical approaches to finding allergy triggers and how to avoid them and/or treat their symptoms.

Most often, in my experience, indoor plants most often cause problems if there is an excess of soil-borne fungi, and depending upon the plant, a very strong smelling flower. Most pollens are typically too large to float in the air and cause respiratory issues unless there is some type of forced air that actively blows it into the environment. Most of the time, I would suggest plants like succulents or those that tolerate dry soil, as it greatly reduces fungi concentrations. Granular soil mixes that are low in organics will help. Keeping plants outdoors during the warm months will help, as well.

Many plants are also efficient cleaners of airborne impurities, but are also falsely accused of causing allergies. More common causes of environmental allergies would include: (1) old and/or soiled carpeting, furniture, and bedding, (2) poor furnace filtration and/or unclean ductwork, and/or (3) mold, mildew, and fungi caused by moisture in basements, water leaks from pipes, or water seaping between tile grout and into walls and floors. There are others, but these are very common and worth a double check. Sometimes it takes a professional inspector to accurately detect these things.

Keep up on your medications as prescribed by your physician and do not be shy about letting him/her know if things are not working, as sometimes it takes a few adjustments in regimens before something is found that works for you.

Good luck,

Mark

6. TotalAlina

Dear All,

I greatly appreciate all the comments! My condition got somewhat worse in the past year, while my plant collection doubled in size in the same period. So as much as I hate the idea, I can't discard the possibility that they are responsible, although I don't think I get a reaction by being near them.

Looking at Mark's message, I realize we do have fungi/mold problems in some of the pots (bizarrely, white fuzz appeared in some pots right after they were treated with insecticidal soap against gnats). I tested allergic to some fungi (phome, fusarium) - maybe that's what's going on... I will see what I can do about this...

Thank you all again very much!

7. Tropical Nut

Tropical Nut Member

I agree with Mark, in that the soil fungus and other indoor allergens can be way more of a problem than pollen indoors. I am severely allergic to almost all tree and plant pollens, dust mites, fungus, dander, etc etc. I have over 100 tropical plants in the house (some of them quite large) and the only problems I ever have is when the jasmine blooms.
    Becuase I DO have a big problem with fungus, about three times a year I scrape the top 1/4 inch or so of potting mix off the pots, dump it in the compost, and re-top dress the pots. I also spray Consan in any pot that has any hint of a "mushroomy" or "musty" smell. I use a soil-less mix that has coconut fiber as the main ingedient. I don't know if it helps, but it makes me feel better, and it sure helps keep the fungus gnats away!

Carolyn

8. TotalAlina

I'm so sick of gnats -- I'll do this TODAY :) especially if it has a chance of alleviating my allergies...

9. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Perhaps you have additional, unknown, allergies. If possible, remove ALL your plants temporarily---say, have a considerate plant-knowledgeable friend caretake them for a week or so. Is your condition better, worse, or the same? If you are still having the same symptoms, obviously the plants are not at fault.