What is wrong with my fern ?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Sarosh, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Sarosh

Sarosh Active Member

Sorry, I didnt know where to post this thread so I figured this section might be a better choice because my Fern seems sick....

I bought this plant 3 years ago.. planted it outside in my yard in a place where there is shade for most of the day and just a little sunlight for about an hour around sun set. This plant never flourished, infect the 1st year i planted it, it died in the middle of the summer or at least thats what i thought. But it grew back again next year and same thing happened.

This time I decided to do something to save it... I did a little research and found that the heat was too much outside and that they need moist and best place for them would be a washroom. So I dug it out, transferred it into a pot and placed it in my washroom. One best thing happened that many new stems started growing. When it was outside, i would usually get 2-3 stems and then it would die. Now that I started getting many more stems, something else happened. They started getting brown and dying again before they flourished. I dont know what is wrong and what should I do...please help !!

It does not get any direct sun in the washroom but the washroom is pretty bright.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. bjo

bjo Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

In the third photo, the leaflets ("pinnules") are pretty far apart - I think that in fact it is a bit short of light. The browning of the leaves may be due to a lack of humidity in the air. A problem can arise when a fern has been growing happily on a window and then someone opens the window to ventilate the room. The humidity drops suddenly and the leaf burns up. Try to maintain a constant humidity around the plant.

Where there is life there is hope!
    Good Luck
    BrianO

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

get a dish with high sides or a bowl and fill it with pebbles - kind of high - and then fill with water to about half as high as the pebbles and then set the plant container on top of the pebbles. this will add moisture/humidity to the area right around it and that'll help.

ferns like high humidity conditions.

also, warmth...if it's now in a draft due to the a/c being on, that would cause an issue, too.

4. Sarosh

Sarosh Active Member

bjo
    Thanks a lot Bjo... I was concern that it might not be getting enough light as well and u r right on about the browing of leaves... since I keep it in the washroom, when someone takes shower, the room fills with steam and then suddenly that person will open the window... so Im pretty sure thats the reason for brown leaves.

Joclyn
    Thanks a lot Joclyn. I think I will move it out of the washroom into my bedroom window so that it can get enough light and therefore, your idea of keeping the air mosit around the fern will work great

Thank you both, me and my fern appreciate it alot ^^;