Acer palmatum 'Amber Ghost'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, May 10, 2005.

1. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi David,

Mikawa yatsubusa is one of my favorites too. Keep pinching the tips to form a bonsai like growth habit and strip away some of the leaves on the bark to open up the trunk. This is a relatively easy to grow cultivar that is very cool looking. A real show stopper. Ain't spring grand? Sam

2. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Sam,
    Thanks for the tips--my Mikawa is very small (like around 8 inches) but is probably 3 years old...there's one main shoot that I don't want to pinch back just yet; I want it to get bigger before I start training it.

David

3. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

Sam,

Gorgeous trees. If I get a chance today I will call you to see what new came in. Great Pics

Thanks krautz

4. nelran

nelran Active Member

Sam, here are some pics,

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  5. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I've had this cultivar for 3 years. It spent 2 years languishing in too dark a location where it didn't produce much color and it didn't grow much either. So last year I moved it to a pot so I could experiment with more and better light on this plant. This spring has not exactly cooperated with my plan, however, since we've experienced frost each night even up to and including the first week of May. Many of the JMs do not like this, and they have retaliated by delaying their 2008 spring growth by 3-4 weeks compared with 2007. So this plant has been spending its evenings in my garage and its days on a sunny deck and it's color is better this year compared to prior years. The photo was taken May 5, 2008.

Attached Files:

6. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Nelran,

Thank you again for great pics. You have a beautiful house, yard and JM collection. I noticed the hammock on the deck. So you can lay back and enjoy your beauties? LOL Sam

7. nelran

nelran Active Member

That's correct, Sam. Thanks.
    Nelson

8. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

maples 5-15 011.jpg Here is a PIC of two of AMBER ghost for comparison. First taken on 5-15. It fades to green somewhat as time goes by, but that maybe the shading of overhead oaks...

Here is a pic from 5-28 - greening out fast. Possibly too much shade. Doing the color change like Aka Shigistsu Sawa.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  9. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

I finally got a REAL Amber Ghost--from Eastfork. So I was very suprised when my new Amber Ghost looked VERY different from the "other one" that I had. Here are some pics, taken within the last couple of days.

Amber Ghost seems to be one of the better Ghosts introduced and is my personal favorite. I like the combination of all the red/amber, green, white, cream, and purple colors throughout the growing season. I don't have it in much sun, but I think that I'll give it more, to bring out the lavender colors that Amber can show given enough sun. A lovely cultivar!

Attached Files:

10. gin-ger

gin-ger Active Member

I LOVE THIS PLANT!!!! It's hard for me to say it's my favorite JM because I have so many favorites but it certainly ranks near the top and is my favorite Ghost so far.

The first pic was this spring, newly leafed out, probably April & receiving lots of sun due to being under deciduous trees...spectacular!!
    The last 2 pix are end of July...with a story to prove how tough some of the APs are.

Mid-May I had an unexpected, extended stay in the hospital...for 2 weeks. I didn't worry about my plants because we had a couple rains each week. When I returned home & could get out & about (2 weeks later) I found this survivor laying on the ground, every leaf a crispy brown. I knew what had happened cuz it had blown over many times leading up to this unfortunate event & needed repotting badly. My husband apologized for not noticing it and offered to throw it away...it did look dead, but I was not ready to give up. He graciously followed my instructions and potted it up to a larger container even tho he thought I was crazy. I worried for most of a month but finally saw buds pushing out everywhere, even up & down the trunk. This is how it looks now...I apologize for the crummy shot of the full tree....it was moved to deep shade for recovery.
    Ginger

Attached Files:

11. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Nice story Ginger...and I wish that my Amber Ghost were that big! Mine is a newly acquired liner from Eastfork Nursery so it has some growing to do, but I think that it will be that beautiful someday.

Nice pics. Thanks!
    David

12. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

I got this plant over the summer. It got fried and shed every leaf. These pics taken today of 'Amber ghost' show a very late summer flush.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  13. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Nice photos, thanks for posting! I personally think Amber Ghost is one of the top 3 ghosts. Nice shape, color and reliability. Who could ask for more?

14. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Anybody seeing some orange developing in the leaves? I am. What do you think? Fall's coming!

David

15. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

No fall colors here, especially on the maples. Still green as a gourd! A little on the Dogwoods and Black Gum trees. Even the Tulip Poplars are still green this time! They're usually the first to go. Maybe things will color up a little later this year? 20 years ago all the trees would be done and bare by Halloween except some oaks. Now we frequently have fall color still going strong at Halloween. Global warming??

16. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

Checked yesterday. It appears that that it's getting an orange tint spashed in the center of the leaves. It's starting to get cold quickly here up north, and the days of course shorter.

17. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

New acquisition I plan to plant next to Peaches and Cream. The hope is that the two reticulations will play well off of each other.

Attached Files:

18. richardbeasley@comcast.net

richardbeasley@comcast.net Active Member Maple Society

Peaches and Cream is a very slow growing maple, so if possible buy one that is as old as you can. I have one that is six years old and it is still a very small tree. This year I have it in a shade house with 60 percent absorption, as in light. It is doing very well in there but I have had to to spray it with fungicide this year. That is becoming a normal thing here, on even the hardier trees. Peaches and Cream blows away all of the Ghost series, well I don't really know that for sure, I am talk out both port holes, but it could be true. Sister Ghost is not a match for Peaches and Cream that is for sure, but it is a much faster grower, and has much heavier green veining, I dont' care for the look very much. Peaches and Cream have the turned down edges like shinny leafs of the untouchable landscaping tree, Trompenburg, with pink tips like fingernails if you like.

19. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

You a big 'Trompenburg' fan Rich?

I had a crush on 'Green Trompenburg' but I guess I over loved it to death, actually killed a few of them!

20. richardbeasley@comcast.net

Yea I think it is a great tree for these new homes, if it is planted by me. Seems like people are choosing the very dark colors calling them purple. I have never seen a purple tree, just a word that people like to hear, I guess. Trompenburg has a very bright (dark hansom red leaf), or for a woman, (a leaf that looks delicate, yet it is very strong), concave on the meridian presenting it leaf as if it were a hand reaching out from times past. That is how I would sell one, I would use a few more words, but it gets the job done, better then li di dia, it has purple leaves, nice tree, its a "Japanese maple" ya know, they are expensive trees, only for the rich, and well educated. Is that a run on sentence? I am moving to Pennsylvania, it's way too hot here in Virginia, or some where that is cooler.

So you killed the Green Trompenburg ,do you have a bottle of Phyton 27, good drainage, a big bag of humate? I have been using Plant Success supplement, it has really done the job. I think it may make trees grow a bit to fast. I have double the size of a rubrum in a year and a half, it went from four meters to eight meters, give or take a foot. We should use caliber to size trees tho, I did not measure that plus, it would be a far less dramatic statement then/ I have increased the caliber by five or so centimeters using Plant Success brand mycorhiza. What is a centimeter?

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  21. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Winter,

Having the two reticulates play off each other is a good idea. I did the same with my 'Peaches & Cream' - but I planted an 'Olsen's Frosted Strawberry' next to it. Nice combo!! :-)

22. winterhaven

lol - thanks for the feedback. RB, you're killing me with laughter.

Regarding slow growing, the Peaches I have and the AG are about the same height, but not the same caliper. They're both in the ground now. I'll try and get a picture later today. So far I love the color play from across the yard.

Now if I had an extra $850 plus tax I would buy the specimen sized Peaches and Cream that leafed out a beautiful blush color. Yummm.

Thanks for the encouragement K4.

By the way, because I have limited available space, I'm having to be choosy about my JM's. I knew I wanted a reticulated one for next to the Peaches I already had. So I was considering Aka Shigitatsu Sawa, Kasagiyama, and Purple Ghost. Based on what I read on the forum I went with the Amber Ghost. I pulled Aka Shigitatsu Sawa off the list because of the large variation within the form and because it got pointed out that for some time they were pretty susceptible to ick. Kasagiyama got moved down the wish list because I heard it it temperamental about holding its color and this space gets a short shot of sun and then some filtered sun. I don't remember why Purple Ghost got moved down my short list, maybe people just preferred Amber? Or maybe I thought it would clash with the peach tones in Peaches. Anyway, thanks all for the great info people.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  23. richardbeasley@comcast.net

24. winterhaven

RB, for the right tree I'd be willing to lease to own! LOL!

Re: "I have one tree that is exspecally smashing, I cannot remember the name but its vergated on the margin in orange and the leaf is green. It is in the butterfly groop and not in the books. I have one that I cultivated, the leaves show light green blushed with pink, and it is always putting out leaves, so it is dotted with pink fading to solid pink on the lower margin."

Please, I wanna see pictures!

25. richardbeasley@comcast.net

OK but I forgot where my camera is