Squash

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Duane, May 7, 2008.

1. Duane

Duane Member

I have tried growing spaghetti squash for the past three years in my garden. Every year, I have been able to grow only one fruit per plant, and am wondering if there is anything I can do to promote more abundance. I do use a fertilizer program and have tried different areas. The soil has tested neutral but does seem a bit heavy. Any advice on growing squash would be greatly appreciated as I am going to try a couple of other varieties this year. I also must mention that the plants always start to produce more than one fruit, but they always die and fall off very early.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

What's your watering regime like?

3. Duane

Duane Member

I have typically watered on a regular weekly schedule with consistent fertilizer schedules as well. I do not think I am over watering, but have no real experience with squash, so I have no idea what is correct. Is it ok to grow squash in 5 gallon containers as opposed to the ground? I have considered this, as it allows me to position the squash in an area with more sunlight.

4. frankmass

frankmass Member

When does the vine die or do you get frost that kills it?

5. punkin patch

punkin patch Member

just a thought...with my pumpkins, as the vines start to spread, I bury about every 4th knuckle or joint if you will, in a little mound of dirt. This gets extra roots to grow at these points giving the entire vine a better water and nutrient supply. Of course I grow mine in the ground, if they were growing out of a 5 gal bucket it would kind of defeat the purpose of having them mobile.

Another thought, you haven't seen any squash bugs or vine borers have you?

6. frankmass

frankmass Member

those vine borers are easy to miss