dying Clementine tree?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Sasquatch910, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Sasquatch910

Sasquatch910 Member

We planted a clementine seed one year ago. It is now a very samll plant with 6 leaves. We recently transplanted it into a slightly larger pot, but now some of the leaves are turnning brown and falling off. We are worried that we hurt it during the transplant. We live in Cleveland Ohio and the plant stays inside all year round. Should we be placing it outside during the warm seasons? Should it remain outsde at night time? How much sunlight should it get? We know nothing about growing a clementine tree, we just thought we'd try it and see what happens. If anyone has any ideas on how to save our little tree we would be so Happy! Thank you

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

First of all, Clementines are one of the very few citrus varieties that do not produce true from seed. Therefore, the fruit will not be the same as the fruit from which you got the seed. By the time a Clementine seedling has reached one year of age it should be between 12-18 inches in height, with some secondary horizontal branching. There could be various reasons for the leaves turning brown and falling. The roots could have been damaged during transplanting, the tree was transplanted into too large of a container, the tree is being over watered, the tree is under nourished, or the tree has insects. Your tree should spend as much time outside as possible. Night temperatures at this time of the year are not a problem. A "Clementine" seedling can stay outside until the night temperatures fall into the 40's. However, because the tree has lived its entire life indoors, it now must be gradually introduced to direct sunshine to avoid burning the leaves. I would ask, if you are fertilizing the tree? Citrus are big feeders, therefore require regular fertilizing. - Millet

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  3. Sasquatch910

Sasquatch910 Member

thank you so much, ummm.. like I said I know nothing about growing anything actually, what should I be fertilizing it with? Thank you again for your help!

4. Sasquatch910

Sasquatch910 Member

We were also wondering, in addition to what to fertilize it with, if the roots were damaged during the transplant, will they eventually repair themselves or is our tree going to die? It is about 6 inches tall at 1 year of growth. Thank you all for your help!

5. MattB000

MattB000 Member

Use something with a ratio of 5-1-3 NPK or as close as you can find. This should be written on the side of the box. 3-1-2 is the closest I've been able to find in the stores, but if your tree has gone it's whole life without having been fertilized, I doubt it's going to be picky!

If you did in fact damage the roots, you just need to hope the tree has enough healthy roots left over to survive and grow new ones.

Also, make sure the top portion of the soil is dry before you water it. It is very tempting to try and help the tree out by giving it plenty of water, but it is very easy to overwater. It's better to err on the side of dry.