GIS for Botanical Gardens

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Eric, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Eric

Eric Member

Hello,

I am a studen from Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Worcester, MA (USA) and I'm traveling to Costa Rica this summer for 7 weeks to work on a project for the Lankester Botanical Garden. We will be developing a database and GIS for the garden using Microsoft Access and MapInfo and I was wondering if anybody here has had an experience with either or if any of you know of gardens that already have GIS impleneted into their garden. I have found some of the major ones (Missouri, Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew and some others) but I was wondering if maybe anybody had some more information on the topic. Any help you can give me would be grealy appreciated. I have noticed that a lot of this forum has to deal with the actual plants but I figured I would post anyway to see if anybody knew anything, thanks again for your help.

-Eric Grimes
    egrimes@wpi.edu

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Eric,

We're not using GIS at UBC Botanical Garden yet (although we've investigated it). I'd like to be of more help. I know Milner Gardens and Woodland on Vancouver Island has a staff person in charge of mapping, so you may wish to contact them.

Also, you should search the Archives of the AABGA Collections Listserv, but you'll need to sign up first.

3. yesheh

yesheh Member

we were also considering using it as opposed to my 'neatly' drawn maps of our botanical garden, i was not exactly sure how to go about doing it, another potential application in the nursery industry would be with WAAS to put waypoints at trees to dig, interesting...