Seven Garden Mysteries (to me) Here's 3

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wildgardner, Jul 18, 2008.

1. wildgardner

wildgardner Member

Thanks to this FANTASTIC resource I can now finally get my plants identified. I bow down to all of you botanical wizards!

Here are three mysteries that birds brought to me:

The first is a bush that produces beautiful, delicate hanging bell like pale creamy yellow flowers in spring. Now it has double red berries that have a matte finish.

The second, is it a dogwood? It has clusters of tiny ivory flowers in spring. Now something has eaten most of it. What is the nasty predator?

Third is another bush that I've seen along the roadsides here in New Hampshire. The blooms are just starting and will turn pink.

Thanks again for your help!!

Attached Files:

2. wildgardner

wildgardner Member

Well, I think I've solved one of my mysteries! The caterpillar is a Dogwood Sawfly. The tree a red-twigged dogwood - Redosier Dogwood (Cornus sericea) ? Confirmation would be appreciated!

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

First one might be Lonicera canadensis, Fly honeysuckle. Third maybe Spiraea alba .

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  4. wildgardner

wildgardner Member

chim- yes, the first one is fly honeysuckle. thanks! the other might be a spirea as you say but the flowers are pink not white as on alba. but that's close enough for me.

does anyone know if i should keep these or if they are invasive? i love the honeysuckle, i hope it's a friendly plant.

5. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Seems S. alba can be light pink also. S. tomentosa may be a better match, being pink flowered. The underside of the leaf, tomentose or fuzzy, should determine if it is either of the species, according to descriptions.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  6. wildgardner

wildgardner Member

Does anyone know if my Dogwood ID is correct? I think it's probably not. The bark is not red at this time.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Might be easier to identify the dogwood when the fruit is ripe.

8. wildgardner

wildgardner Member

Yes, thank you, I was thinking that too. Will post again when that happens if the berries don't all get eaten!

9. Analogdog

Analogdog Active Member 10 Years

It sure looks like Cornus sericea to me, but I am not a botonist, nor do I play one on TV. We have Red Osier Dogwood all around these parts, but I do not know if there are look alikes in your area.