What's eating my Magnolia?

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Quincys Slave, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Quincys Slave

Quincys Slave Active Member

I have 2 Magnolia sieboldii that aren't doing so well, the leaves are getting very eaten and some of them are puckering up. Is this possibly damage from spider mites? I can't see anything else that could be doing it, I do see very small spider-ish bugs on them and I've sprayed with an insecticidal soap but I'm not having much luck

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Mites don't chew, they suck. Do not spray again until you figure out what is present - you may for instance have sprayed and killed beneficial predator mites or spiders (not to be confused with spider mites, which do suck plant juices).

Slugs may damage newly planted magnolias. Are you seeing any slime trails?

3. Quincys Slave

Quincys Slave Active Member

No slime at all, that's what I thought at first but I rarely see slugs anywhere in my garden (knock on wood) I do see lots of flying creatures though. I thought mites because I do see tiny tiny spider like critters on the leaves and I don't understand why the leaves are puckering up.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Any stippling (fine speckling)? Fine webbing?

5. LilyISay

LilyISay Active Member

I'd lay odds you had some beetles on them when they were young and tender, but they're gone and the damage remains. Spider mites don't make holes, they stipple the surface with pale specks, and when there's lots you see fine webbing. The wee spiders are likely crab spiders. They're good guys.