New House, Unidentifiable plant in garden

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Leek, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Leek

Leek Member

Hello, as stated i recently moved into a new house and have been tackling the jungle that is the garden and hiding behind a conifer I found this which i have yet been unable to identify. It currently stands ~5ft tall with a number of smaller plants of the same typology around it in close proximity.

Any help would be wonderful

Attached Files:

2. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

It looks to me as though the leaves are in whorls? If so, possibly a "joe pye" (Eupatorium spp.), such as Eupatorium purpureum.

3. PLANT LOVER 210

PLANT LOVER 210 Member

By the way the leaves are spikey, I think it would be a weed, though the flowers are somewhat pretty. I am not sure 100% so don't quote me on it and don't pull it until you are sure. Who knows, it could be the last of an "extinct" plant.

4. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

You can rest assured that weed species (which is a moving target to define anyway) aren't defined by "spikey leaves"!

5. Leek

Leek Member

hey,

The leaves do not appear to be in whorls, which from my undertanding, correct me if im wrong, is the leaves coming directly from a node on thecentral stem in a circular fashion around it. instead the leaves on this plant are sprouting from indivdual stems, three leaves per cluster. the weed Joe pyre does look very similar but i dont believe it to be common in England and the photographs i found on a google search only showed overviews but no real close ups of the plants structure.

Here is a close up, sorry if its a bit blurry, my camera isnt wonderful. hopefully if it is a weed i can pull it up and reclaim alittle more of my own personal "jungle"!

Attached Files:

6. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years