Japanese Maple Partial Blooming

Discussion in 'Maples' started by isunormalil, Jul 14, 2008.

1. isunormalil

isunormalil Member

I have a Japanese Maple that is in it's 3rd year. This year the tree has leaves on half of the tree. They are nice firm leaves, but none the less the entire tree has not bloomed. Any suggestions?

2. jetoney

jetoney Active Member

The branches that have not leafed-out may be dead. It's not unusual for maples, especially in the first few years after planting, to suffer some die-back during the winter. Are the branches with no leaves all in one portion of the tree (top vs. bottom, front vs. back)? Can you post a photo?

3. isunormalil

isunormalil Member

Here is a picture...i hope this works. In the picture it is top to bottom. The bottom has nice leaves and the top is bare.

Attached Files:

4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

oh,oh your maple is near to the dead! sorry!however cut the dry branch,and good luck!
    the cause is not regular humidity in the soil , verticillium,or the exp.(much sun)good exp.is sun in morning shade in afternoon,but this is true not in every zone which is your USAD zone?

5. isunormalil

isunormalil Member

Which part is the dry branch? I am assuming that would be the main branch in the middle from where the dark brown begins? I believe my zone is...

5a -20 to -15 F -26.2 to -28.8 C Des Moines, Iowa; Illinois

6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

[QUOTE I am assuming that would be the main branch in the middle from where the dark brown[/QUOTE]
    ok cut this part
    in zone 5 sun isn't problem
    ciao