Blueberry cuttings

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Berrychik, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Berrychik

Berrychik Member

We built a house on an old berry farm. There's a couple of bluberry plants that have survived being left alone for the past years and I was wanting to take clippings off of them to get some more going. I don't know what variety they are, just that they are highbush.
    How good are blueberries as far as cuttings go? What is the best time of the year?...and how long does it take for them to root?

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Highbush blueberries are one of the easier plants to root. They would root fastest in summer, but without a mist setup it is harder to keep the cuttings alive in the heat and dryness compared to doing hardwood cuttings in winter...a slower and slightly less guaranteed rooting method.

Commercially I'm told they are done in winter, but that is probably because of the large amount of prunings available, lighter workload in the nursery and the simplicity of hardwood cutting propagation.

If you want to try right now, I would use 4-6 in. cuttings, dipped in rooting hormone and stuck in peat/perlite, preferably with some bottom heat. Keep them under a humidity dome or plastic tent, and in the shade. They should be rooted in a couple months

3. Berrychik

Berrychik Member

Thank you for the info...I was thinking of trying it soon, maybe this weekend. I might try bringing the tray in so that it doesn't dry out too fast.
    Thanks again, much apperciated!
    Isabell

4. LeonaS

LeonaS Member

I have no idea if this would work but could you tip layer a branch of the blueberry bush just like you can for blackberries? Does anyone know if this would work for propagating blueberries?

LeonaS