Upside Down Tree UBC

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by jcharbonneau, Jul 8, 2008.

1. jcharbonneau

jcharbonneau Member

Hi,

Does anyone know if the tree on the corner of main library near chamistry has actually been uprooted and planted upside down, of if it just looks like that normally? It's pretty cool either way, but knowing
    for sure would be nice.

james

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

You're looking at a Camperdown elm (Ulmus glabra 'Camperdowni').

3. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

Many years ago I heard a legend at a castle tour in Europe of a case of a king, unable to decide if a man was guilty, decided to let God do the job by planting a tree upside-down. If the tree would grow, the man was proven innocent and would let go, if not he would be put to death. The legend has it, that both survived and the tour guide pointed out the tree to prove it. :)

There are trees, which easily root from branches stuck into the ground, like willows and poplars. It is quite conceivable, that they could also survive the topsi-turvi planting process.

4. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

The "root-like" growth of the plant on campus occurs just above the graft. It is because of the appearance of the branches that the tree was affectionately given this name.

5. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

I definitely reckon a willow would work. My brother brought a huge stick home once,planted it in the garden and ended up with a huge tree!