Newly planted Skeeters Broom

Discussion in 'Maples' started by mjlewis28, Jul 8, 2008.

1. mjlewis28

mjlewis28 Member

I have a Skeeters Broom that I planted about 10 days ago, there is no new growth and some of the leaves are beginning to turn brown--not all at once but slowly and progressively. I've watered it generously and have it planted fairly shallow. Does anyone know of anything that could cause this browning?

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Maybe far too much water?

3. mjlewis28

mjlewis28 Member

How much water does a newly planted skeeters broom need? It gets sun most of the day and is in close proximity to a brick wall (of our house).

4. Worthy42

Worthy42 Active Member

Maybe the close proximity to the wall is frying the leaves. Not unusual.

Personally, I'd water it deeply every other day for about two weeks, since you say it gets full sun and it is July. Obviously don't water it on a days of significant rain. Then leave it alone unless there are extended periods without rain (I'm guessing not likely in Seattle).

5. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

In all of these instances a photograph can help throw some light on what the problem may be. Otherwise it is only a random guessing game

6. mjlewis28

mjlewis28 Member

Thanks to everyone for your help, I'll add a photo this evening. If it were too close to a warm wall would the leaves closest to the wall brown? In this case the leaves browning are not on the wall side of the tree. These questions may be easier when I get the photo up...