Ailing spruce trees

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Jorie, May 21, 2008.

1. Jorie

Jorie Member

Last year we noticed some dead growth on several spruce trees in our yard. There doesn't seem to be any sign of a pest although the spruce bud worm has been identified in Manitoba. We would hate to lose these trees that surround our yard as they provide shelter and privacy. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Examine closely for bugs (if climate not too cold) or blight.

3. Jorie

Jorie Member

Don't see any bugs or blight.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Take samples to whatever government or commercial (like trusted garden center) resource you have available to you there for assistance. For the trees to look like this they are being affected by a hostile environmental condition or being infested by a pathogenic organism.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Is it just the low branches, or are any of the branches in the upper crown also affected?

6. Lynette

Lynette Active Member

I'm having the same problem with a blue spruce. The tips show new growth but the inner part of the branch is bare. All branches to the crown are affected. The tree is 25 years old and over 30 feet high. The only thing I can see are browned needles.

Lynette
    Ottawa ON

Attached Files:

7. taotu

taotu Member

8. TreeBugs

TreeBugs Member

Lynette, it looks your spruce has Rhizosphaera needlecast. There appear to be black fruiting bodies coming from the stomates, and the fact that the new growth is fine also makes me think this is your problem.

Jorie, I can't say for sure that this is your problem. To be sure, you'd want to look at the needles. But from the pictures, it looks like the bottom branches are completely dead, while the ones directly above are in relatively better shape. You might want to investigate for Cytospora canker.

Now, I'm not an arborist, so you should probably do some additional research on these things on your own. I just thought considering these options might help you focus your resources more effectively.

9. Lynette

Lynette Active Member

Thank you, TreeBugs! I have the name of a good arborist so will call him to get an idea of how to deal with it.

Lynette

10. taotu

taotu Member

Whoa- that sounds really similar to what's happening to my tree too (what's happening to Lynette's, I mean) Actually, the ends of the branches are starting to yellow, too, and the top has completely lost all its needles... I guess that sounds a bit different. But all of these remedies involve chemicals- it's not really something I can try. Are there any natural fungus repellents for trees?

11. timbercheap

timbercheap Member

I noticed a road in the background - any chance that salt is spread and snow piled around the base of the tree in winter?