Cherry Blossom Branch - Can I Propagate It???

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Anthurium lover, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Anthurium lover

Anthurium lover Active Member

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm very new to gardening.

Yesterday I took a small branch of Cherry Blossom from the floral arrangement where I worked. I've always loved cherry blossom trees to the point of obsession- so I'm wondering if I can grow a new tree from this branch (once again. sorry if this is an idiotic question).

If its possible, could you please tell this idiot beginner how? The clearer the directions the better!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sorry, no. Cherries don't root from cuttings.

3. Anthurium lover

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

I must admit to being a bit intimidated by 4711 posts, but Michael, I can't agree. Softwood cuttings of some cherries can be rooted under mist with fair success at rooting but tend to do poorly in the first winter. Rooting hormones are used (IBA alone or with NAA). Probably not a beginners option. P.serrulata 'Kwanzan' can be own rooted although commercial production tends towards grafting or T-budding.

I'll also admit my own experience is confined to the killing of several attempted rooting cuttings and I'm currently festooning a doomed P.serrulata with various practice grafts (it's doomed by gummosis on the main trunk). The above info is from Hartman & Kester's Plant propagation- Principles and Practices.

Ralph

5. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Both the sweet and sour cherries are usually, propagated by T-budding the wanted variety on a seedling rootstock, commonly either Mazzard or Mahaleb. Cherries may also be budded on native cherries, but this is seldom satisfactory since wild trees sucker so badly. - Millet

6. Michael F

Hi Ralph,

As you say, "Probably not a beginners option" - I was taking into account that the poster stated "but I'm very new to gardening", and that talk of softwood, hormones, mist, etc., would be beyond someone in that situation. Bear in mind that beginners generally don't have the equipment necessary for rooting anything trickier than willow cuttings.

PS Kanzan, no 'w' :-)

7. Anthurium lover

Ooooh, this just got interesting!

Yes I am a beginner, and I'll probably fail miserably, but its nice to have this information out there on the web. I googled before I asked and although the answer I found was sometimes can be propagated through softwood cuttings with heel, there was no detailed information on it and I got the feeling it wasn't an average "cut a bit off stick in soil hope it sprouts" job.

I do have to ask the question what is "under mist", though! I would love to hear about the process even if it is completely out of my range.

8. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Just google "mist propagation". There's a ton of stuff out there. If you stick to the .edu sites at first you can have a bit more confidence in what you are reading. It is difficult (verging on impossible) to do this without some kind of automated misting timer though I am about to experiment with a continuous running drugstore/houshold type ultrasonic humidifier for a very small misting bench.

Ralph

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd like to know what kind of "cherry blossom" is being asked about, some Prunus are more likely to produce results from such attempts than others. Some can also be purchased comparatively inexpensively as small finished plants, perhaps making fiddling with a branch from a bouquet that probably won't root unnecessary. And others might be likely to come more or less true from seeds taken from trees growing nearby.

10. Anthurium lover

^ Not sure on the variety. Its true, it would be cheaper just to buy a small established tree, but I'm curious as it would be interesting to see if it would work. A bit of a half assed science project I guess?

11. Michael F

Can you post a photo of it?

12. Anthurium lover

Will do tonight.

13. Anthurium lover

14. drakekay

drakekay Member

aahhh I see whats going on. I think there is a distinction between Cherry Blossoms and Cherries. The Cherry Blossoms is an imported Japanese flowering tree, typically used as bonsai but also to decorate the cities over there. And of course Cherries are a fruit.
    Try this link, has good info..
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Trees-739/propagating-cherry-tree.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_5919383_root-cutting-blossoming-cherry-tree.html

I'm very interested in how yours have turned out?!!? But here's a page that I found.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2012