Identification: What type of Palm is this?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by sabrescutie, Jul 2, 2008.

1. sabrescutie

sabrescutie Member

I have owned these 2 palms since 2001. I haven't had much trouble with them, except now I have cracks in the trunk. (Possibly because its been quite windy here?) Also I sometimes have some white spots on the palms or brown out.

Could someone help identify these palms. Also any suggestions on their upkeep and how I can get the one palm to have new growth on the bottom like the other palm.

Thanks for your help!
    I attached two photos of them.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Dracaena marginata, Madagascar Dragon Tree. (It's not a palm tree.)

3. mkk

mkk Active Member

Right on the mark junglekeeper!

4. sabrescutie

sabrescutie Member

Thanks! I wasn't sure if it was a palm or not because it had no tags when I bought them. Any suggestions as to why the trunks have small cracks now? Could it have been the strong wind? They went through a hurricane when they were younger with no damage. I had a nasty neighbor a year ago who would knock the plants over on purpose (Had to call the cops) and they had no damage. Now all of a sudden I have "cracking" in the flesh of the trunk, like a maple tree. (Sorry if I'm not using correct terms)

Should I repost this in a different thread or leave it here. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

More than likely the hurricane, but I wouldn't be too concerned. They look healthy to me

Ed

6. sabrescutie

sabrescutie Member

The hurricane was back in 2003. The cracks/peeling just showed up 2 weeks ago. Sorry for being a worry wort - I love these trees and as a teacher, I'm off for the summer and need something to focus on. :)

7. mkk

mkk Active Member

They look totally healthy, but you could cut them off and reroot them if you want to (above the "cracked area) It is quite easy to do.

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The bark is cracking because the stem is getting thicker as the plant grows larger - look at the bark on most trees, and you'll see it cracks as the trunk gets thick, simply because the old bark can't stretch enough. New bark forms in the cracks. It's perfectly normal.