What's up with Tsuma Gaki?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kaydye, Jul 3, 2008.

1. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have had this for three years now. I've read a lot of comments on the "stars and flops" forum and it sounds like for many there is only a green leaf. My problem is different. Mine is beautiful when it leafs out, but now and for the rest of the summer the leaves develop brown spots, like a rust. Does anyone know what this is and why it is happening? I decided last year that maybe it needed more water (it's in a container), and with our wet spring it was getting a lot and I thought maybe that was the answer. We went away on vacation for nine days, and I did have someone come and water, but we also got more rain. It's possible that we didn't get as much rain as my neighbor thought we did, she only watered once, and the watering system I had set up was simply a sprinkler on for a couple hours. Therefore, it is possible it didn't get a good deep watering and got a little dry. I have (I think) uploaded a picture of the leaves. I would sure love to know what my problem is, I really like this maple. Thanks for any help.
    Kay

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  2. Worthy42

Worthy42 Active Member

Please describe where the container is positioned. Or post a picture from farther away showing where you keep the container in relation to house, other trees, etc.

I do not have one of these trees, but understand that your problem is not unusual. My guess is sun exposure, rather than disease. This one tends to be a little delicate from that perspective.

3. nelran

nelran Active Member

kaydye:

Looking your pic is like if I'm looking my own 'Tsuma Gaki'; mine looks exactly like yours (i also have it in a container); I got nice leaves with the characteristic red tips early in spring, but later developed abnormal big leaves (reversion probably, but that's another history). As soon as the temperature go up above 80s & 90s the leaves started to get brown tips as yours. I'm keeping well watered (as the rest of my +50 JMs), and I like very much this cultivar, but Im dissapointed with it. It just looks like is very sensitive to be exposed to temperatures higher than 70s or the ocassionaly warm breeze. Even it was keep all the time with morning dappled shade and in full shade afternoon, the leaves get burning tips.
    My conclusion? It's a three gal size plant so probably needs more time to adapt to this weather and secondly, it doesn't like warm places.
    Nelran

4. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Maybe it doesn't like growing in a container in a hot climate.

I'm just thinking maybe the problem is that the roots are getting much hotter than they like, and are effectively shutting down during the hot part of the day. Thus, no matter how much you water, the leaves find that their water supply is cut off.

Or maybe this particular variety just can't take the heat. It happens.

5. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I think Kaspian may be right. I'm in hot, humid Tennessee, and my Tsuma Gaki is doing spendidly.

One trick you might want to try is to simply plant the POT in the ground in a spot you think might be a good home for your tree. This procedure will keep the roots cool as if it had been planted in the ground. If you still have problems, its easy to move it with no root trauma. I learned this from a local nursery that grows native plants, who have acres of trees and shrubs planted in pots sunk into the ground and watered by drip irrigators. Benefits of pot grown and field grown combined! I thought it was brilliant, so I'm doing it myself. I've potted up a number of my JMs and when I decide on a potential home for one, I just plant the pot and see how it likes it.

Regards,

K4

6. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I don't know about the heat and sun ideas. It is planted in a cedar box, growing in a very shaded condition (dappled sun, maybe an hour of direct sun), and this spring has been cool and rainy here in the midwest. We've only had maybe one day that reached 90 degrees far. The reason I have not put it into the ground is I didn't think it would survive the winter temps. I could try transplanting it to a plastic container this fall and sink it in the ground next year and see if that helps. The leaves look unsightly, but it doesn't seem to harm the growth. I'll see if I can't get a picture today (when the sun is up:) of where I have it. Thanks for the thoughts.
    Kay

7. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Illinois a hot climate?, wow!! it must have changed a lot since I last visited there

Kay, if this is of any comfort, about 5% of my maples (potted or in the ground) develop leaf conditions that make them pretty unsightly, like yours (see for example the thread on 'Akane' in the Gallery). Some sun burn, a lot of antrachnose, rust and.... you name it. What is interesting is that the same trees are affected year after year and others very close to them are not. Preventive treatment (for antrachnose) does not seem to do much. I've got to a point where either I live with that or I replace the tree.

Gomero