Dahlias, they are way too spindly

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Cindi, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Cindi

Cindi Active Member

With the cold weather we have been experiencing, my dahlias that I have started by seed are far too spindly. I know from experience that many plants grown by seed can be pinched back, with great success and this makes them strong.

BUT....what about the big beautiful open faced dahlias, and others that I know are showstoppers, if they only could get going.

Can they be pinched back? This is my first year growing dahlias by seed and I have no clue. Have a wonderful day, Cindi

2. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

You can and should pinch back dahlias. Your seedlings I take it are indoors? Harden them off gradually if so and pinch after a couple of sets of leaves are already well grown out.

3. Cindi

Cindi Active Member

Yes, the dahlias were grown indoors, I have pinched them back and they will be growing like wildfire I am sure. Thanks.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Another thing you can do is set a light breeze on them wherever they are. In the wild (which is where I see them; some are native to Ecuador), Dahlias are exposed to quite a bit of wind, which helps them beef up their stems.

5. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

Excellent advice from Lorax!

Spindly indoor seedlings are a big problem across the board...most get too little light so are reaching up for more, most are kept too warm (most don't need warmth after the initial sprouting stage) and if in seed starting mix, are underfed. Although they are often fertilized too often to make up for that and are overfed! Best thing for seedlings who already have one set of leaves is to be transplanted into their outdoor home.