Identification: A Few Surprise Beauties

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Jun 26, 2008.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Just wanted to share some of the 'surprises' I've already found this summer located in Atchsion, Kansas.
    Feel free to help ID any I've gotten wrong
    ENJOY!

1.Bolete (originally thought was the King Bolete)
    2.UNSURE? Polypore and Turkey Tail?
    3.White-egg Bird's Nest-Crucibulum laeve
    4.Chicken Mushroom-Laetiporus sulphureus
    5.Many-headed Slime Mould-Physarum polycephalum
    6.Netted Rhodotus-Rhodotus palmatus
    7.Dead Man's Fingers-
    8.Orange-Mat Caprinus-Coprinus radians
    9.? a coprinus or marasmius?
    C.Wick

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  2. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I can see that 1. and 2. seem to have come up missing here.......thanx for pointing that out to me Frog! :o)
    Below are the other two...1.being the bolete (taken today for update) and 2.turkey tail and unknown polypore (taken in Tennessee/not Kansas)

Attached Files:

3. Michael Kuo

Michael Kuo Active Member

The chicken of the woods looks to me like Laetiporus cincinnatus, which has a whitish (not yellow) pore surface, oranger colors, and grows at the bases of oak trees (L. sulphureus grows higher up, off the ground).

The unknown Tennessee polypore looks like a Ganoderma lucidum-like species that grows in my area (Illinois) on stumps of honey locust; it might be "G. curtisii."

. . . and the bolete looks to me like a species of Tylopilus.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/laetiporus_cincinnatus.html
    http://www.mushroomexpert.com/ganoderma_lucidum.html (see bottom photo)

Best wishes, Michael

4. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Thank you very much for those two! I hadn't realized there were two different kinds of the Laetiporus until you pointed that out. I almost panicked as I've been eating that actual find in several dishes and have given some to a friend to cook/eat as well.

The polypore one also is an awesome name find! I've honestly NO idea what kind of stump they were all growing on? It was a mixed forest and unfortunately at the time I photographed them I wasn't paying much attention to what type of trees were around as I and the people with me had the wonderful luck to witness a pileated woodpecker and his 2 girlfriends.

I'm putting more info on the bolete looking mushroom? maybe will help.....
    I found several of them in a wooded area with light sunlight shining on them at mid-day....an older specimin...it was 10inches across on the cap with the pores darkening to a green hue. Indistinct mushroomy smell. The younger specimins have very fat bulbous bases...the cap short bell shaped with the pores curved inward. The older ones had the swelled pores. (side note? they seemed to like to hang out with chanterelles and the unknown orange mushrooms in the first photo)
    Hope the photos help here a bit?

Attached Files:

5. Michael Kuo

Michael Kuo Active Member

6. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Unfortunately did the 'taste-test' with the peppery milky yesterday? Don't think I'll subject myself to that idea for awhile.......but I do know as this one aged...the pore surface turned green. Bruising turned it a dark almost red-pink color.

7. Illecippo

Illecippo Active Member

Looks like Boletus aestivalis (italian) but your one is probably a Xerocomus/Tylopilus that i dont know.
    It's important to take photos of very part of fungus..
    Thanks and best regards to everyone ;)
    Nico

8. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I'm putting some of the cross sections as well as underside views of the same mushrooms....I noticed the stem on these also have an almost 'webbed' appearance...You'll notice also that the cap and stem will turn a green with bruising almost immediately. The pores maintained their pinkish tone without darkening with bruising.

Attached Files:

9. honoryourlife

honoryourlife Member

Very interesting.