Fun 'Jellies, Fingers, Oddities '

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Jun 27, 2008.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Some fun 'odd' fungi that I've found this summer..........feel free to correct any mis-ID'd.
    Thanx...and enjoy!
    C.Wick

The first image? I've no idea what this slime is...growing out from a Wild Grape Vine...

Not sure why I'm loosing images I'm trying to put in the posts...but....
    1..Jellied False Coral-Tremellodendron pallidum
    2.Dead Man's Fingers-Xylaria polymorpha
    3.White Jelly/Silver Tree Ear-Tremella Fuciformis
    4.Wolf's Milk Slime Mould-Lycogala epidendrum

Attached Files:

2. honoryourlife

honoryourlife Member

Fungus are so interesting. Especially Jellies, I have a photo that I took near some waterfalls near my home to be what I suspect is a sort of Jelly. At first I thought it was some sort of mushroom/morelish type, but after seeing lots of Jelly pictures I am not too sure. But the fungus in question is bright orange (Flourescent colored), has dimples in it like a morel (It looks like an orange brain). I was tempted to pick it, but I decided to leave it there. Also, it did not seem to wet like Jelly fungus but soft and not translucent. Can Jelly fungus harden at all?

Does anyone have any idea to what it might be?
    I will try to find the photograph.

Thank you, sorry to hijack this thread if I did.

-Ryan (Still wandering),

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

A few ideas without a photo? There are definately jellies that are orange...they can be dried and rehydrated later also. Some of the more colorful kinds are Witch's Butter-Tremella mesenterica.......Orange Jelly-Dacrymyces palmatus........Dacrymyces stilatus....
    If it LOOKED like a jelly from the top but not underneath? he photo below might be what you saw...this is of Netted Rhodotus-Rhodotus palmatus....Hope some of this helped a tad. Would love to see the photo u have

Attached Files:

4. honoryourlife

honoryourlife Member

Nope, it's kind of close, it doesn't have that webbing though. None of the names looked close. This fungus has plagued me for almost a year now! darn it, I will have to find that picture. There is another one that I am not sure of, but I know it's a Trumpet or Horn Mushroom for sure just by looking. It was a really bright yellow.

-Ryan (Still wandering),

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

You'll definately have to find the images as I'm definately curious now! I'm not an expert by ANY means what-so-ever? But I'm learning things quickly just in this last year of many types of the jellies/moulds and other 'odd' fungi and mushrooms around us.

6. honoryourlife

honoryourlife Member

I will definately try. It's on a computer at my work, so I'll just go in on Monday and get the photos.

I hope they are still on there.

-Ryan (Still wandering),

7. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Some jelly fungi have tough bits in the core of their fruiting body. In some cases the tough bits contain what the jelly's fruiting body needs to survive repeated drying out and re-wetting. In other cases the tough core is pieces of the host the jelly is parasitizing, such as part of a turkey tail Trametes fungus.

8. Illecippo

Illecippo Active Member

good names!

9. honoryourlife

honoryourlife Member

Hmmm..

It's wasn't really hard but kind of a velvety look/feel to it. I never touched it, it reminds me of thos Goldfish with the Jelly things on their heads? If that helps?

I believe they were found in the middle of July to the middle of August. I cannot remember. I'll post a thread on the other mushrooms I did find on that day.

-Ryan (Still Wandering),

10. wildgardner

wildgardner Member