japanese climatis

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by JustPeg, Jun 29, 2008.

1. JustPeg

JustPeg Member

Dear Readers,
    I have latice all around the bottom of my sundeck. I want a good climber that will grow fast and create privacy. I have heard that the evergreen, japanese climatis will do the trick for me. Is that true? Just one thing. It would have to grow out of a huge pot that I have.
    Looking forward to your opinions
    JustPeg :)

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A truly huge pot should work. Plant shrubs in it to shade the roots. Be prepared to be pruning and training every year to maintain an attractive effect, including snipping off old, dead leaves. Plant wants to grow about 15'-20' or more and quickly tangles and bunches up when confined to a structure. New shoots grow several feet at a time. To use this selection on a trellis or arbor without ending up with a mess you have to stay on top of it.

Look up Clematis armandii. There are also less coarse kinds of evergreen clematis on the local market now, under various names but generally similar. Look for information about C. x cartmannii 'Joe' to see what these are like. You may not find this particular one at outlets but there is likely to be one or two others of the same ilk.

3. JustPeg

JustPeg Member

thanks Ron. I'll write them down now and have a look at them.
    Now I'm excited that there are more to chose from. Great!
    thanks again.