Plant ID

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by KSeraSera, Jun 27, 2008.

1. KSeraSera

KSeraSera Member

This forum was so helpful in identifying my last inquiry, I'm hoping to get lucky again. I've attached pictures of a perennial I planted last year but can't remember what it is. Plant tag was kidnapped by the wind. It must flower or else I wouldn't have bought it but no flowers yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

When it flowers can you please post a picture.

3. KSeraSera

KSeraSera Member

Sure thing!

4. Ispied

Ispied Active Member

Possibly Balloon flower/Platycodon. But as mentioned best if there is a photo when it is in bloom.

5. KSeraSera

KSeraSera Member

That's it! As soon as I saw your post, I remembered that I had planted these last year but they were small and low to the ground. Not realizing they could grow this tall before blooming, I thought my "balloon flowers" hadn't survived the winter. Thank you so much! Woohooo! I love this site!

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I thought of that also but wasn't sure about the leaf outlines and the branching near the tops of the stems.

7. Ispied

Ispied Active Member

I think the same every spring as well, so now I leave a marker of sort as they come out quite late in the spring compared to my other perennials.

8. KSeraSera

KSeraSera Member

I found a flat rock and used a permanent marker to write it's name on it. Hopefully, the rock (and writing) will survive the wind, rain and snow. I also did that with Virburnum bush that this site helped identify and hid the rock at the base. I've got one more thing sproutng now and the leaves are all crinkley but I think it's a wayward sprout of the Black Eyed Susan - those are EVERYWHERE!

9. Ispied

Ispied Active Member

If you don't cut the stalk down in the fall, the woody stalk will still be there in the spring. I've also used this method as a marker, but also stops me from accidentally stepping on the new growth while I'm in the garden weeding and so forth.