Money tree leaf deformity

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by October, Jun 22, 2008.

1. October

October Member

I bought (err, more like rescued) a money tree from Ikea not too long ago. Three of the leaves do not come to a point and instead, are just the opposite of that, making a heart or M shape at the end (I hope that is clear enough, heh). These same three deformed leaves are all on the same leaflet. I'm just wondering if there is something I should do/not do to correct this problem. Some of the other leaves have turned yellow and then brown as well. The yellow/browning leaves always happen on the same leaflet. I'm assuming it's all related. The plant sits in a window that gets light for a few hours a day. Perhaps it isn't enough sun?

The plant is growing and the new leaves are normal shape-wise.

I searched online and could not find anything relating money trees and leaf deformities.

Any help is appreciated! I want to do anything I can to help this guy out.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

It could be due to any number of reasons. If the plant was not in your care during the development of this leaf deformity, then it's hard to go back into the plant's "growing history". Since it is producing normal leaves and is putting out good growth, I would not bother fussing over that one leaf, cut it off and move on. If the leaflet is one of the bottom/lower ones (is it?) it is normal for it to go yellow, then brown and then eventually fall off.

3. October

October Member

Thanks for the reply. I won't fuss over it since it's growing and looks healthy. I was just checking because I didn't want it to be something I was doing wrong.

It's good to know I wasn't!

Thanks again.