To all Members - Political and Social Rants

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Eric La Fountaine, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Um, I'm not seeing this on the forums. If such things are happening via email, then that'd be the proper venue to both rant about it and address the issue, as opposed to asserting that the community of people on these forums should be involved in what is likely a personal issue.

And no, please don't post these emails here. It's not appropriate. We generally talk about plants on these forums.

2. rareplantlover

rareplantlover Member

unfortunately these few nasty and childish people started their rants on these forums but took it a step further, they should be expelled for their horrible behavior, or hopefully grow up!!

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Where are the rants? Admittedly, I haven't viewed all the threads from the weekend yet, but I'm certain that someone would have reported posts that "humilate degrade and be as hateful as possible".

We talk about plants here.

4. greenthumb7

greenthumb7 Member

The posts I'm refering to were about a difference of opinion as to plant IDs. And instead of respecting others opinions they chose to attack and humiliate rather than discuss the views rationally and with sound botanical and scientific information and then carried it over to a barrage of personal emails of the plant ID in question, leaving out plant info and just attacking on a personal level.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Send me the links to the threads, or, alternatively, go to them and hit "Report Post" in the upper right corner. I'm assuming these occurred on the weekend?

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

>SO L., H. and R. Stop now<

R? If somebody got something supposedly from me, it wasn't from me. I haven't been looking at my e-mail so I have no idea what these messages are about - should I have been one of the recipients myself.

7. mommum

mommum Member

I think they should have to go too. We are here to educate, learn and share. We do that by having an exchange of ideas but I find it unethical to take it off list and say mean and cruel things to someone just because you have a difference of opinion. Those off list personal attackes were slanderous to say the least and uncalled for.

Bea

8. Daniel Mosquin

Right, so I managed to catch up on thread-reading a couple days ago, and I couldn't find any recent rants or hateful notes. While I understand how frustrating it is to have personal clashes with other people, there is nothing I can do whatsoever about what occurs off these forums. Also, I don't appreciate the insinuation that these things occurred on this forum and nothing was done about them, because that's not the case.

We do moderate for rudeness and try to keep the focus here on plants. Please don't drag down the reputation of these forums for things that don't occur here.

9. greenthumb7

greenthumb7 Member

Hi Daniel, sorry you thought I was implying that nothing was being done, that never entered my mind, my posting was strictly to certain people that used info from plant opinions and then carried it to a terrible level in private. This was not done to me personally but to a friend who sent me those persons emails. If they can't say what they have to say in the context of this forum they should not say it at all and I held no one here responsible for their behavior but them.

10. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

There have been some rants posted and semi-personal attacks that are uncalled for. It is too easy to misinterpret posted comments. The discussions can be interesting but (too) quick responses are petty and uninformative. While I shake my head in wonder and keep on scrolling. I agree with the call for moderation.

11. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    It's a mystery to me what all you guys are worrying about. I love this [very-relevant to the Pacific Northwest in particular] garden forum, and it seems to be managed properly by Daniel and others, and has barely a hint of controversy as far as I can see -- now and then some soul is going to be inflamed by a concept and maybe one should just let it flame, and burn out on its own! i.e. "a rose by any other name..." Sometimes the least little tendency towards some ideology in someone's comment will set another reader off... Don't fuss so -- naturally, private emails of a rude nature are not a good idea, and I don't know anything about that and neither do the rest of us who weren't included. If it happens, surely the two correspondents could hammer it out themselves. This is nothing like a lot of forums end up to be, thank heavens, thank Daniel and others...

12. greenthumb7

greenthumb7 Member

I agree, Daniel and the others do a great job and this is definately 1 of the best forums.