Sphag and Bag Technique

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by sainclara, Jun 17, 2008.

1. sainclara

sainclara Member

Hello all!

I have a paph and a phal and 2 cyms I am trying to revive...
    Soaked them in 1.5 hrs of KLN/water dilution.... and I'm about to put them in a ziplog bag with some saturated sphagnum moss (not touching the roots)...

Question:
    Should I put the whole plant into the bag and seal it at the top? So the high humidity can get to watever leaves I have left remaining also?? Or leave the leaves outside the bag esp. in the case of the cyms since they're way too grassy...??

2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

Are you trying revive damaged roots or totally regrow root systems? I have only used sphag and bag when trying get a plant with no roots growing (base of plant wrapped in loose sphagnum and covered by bag at first). Usually it's a repotting that a plant needs after you purchase it in bloom. I try to repot most of mine in the spring but because I use lights some have other times of year when the roots really take off. The hard part is figuring out which media is going to work best in your growing conditions (indoors under lights) and your watering habits.

Shaun

3. sainclara

sainclara Member

hello!
    yes I am trying to revive these seemingly "dead" roots on these orchids..
    I hear the process can be kinda tedious but this is my last hope before I decide if these babies can go in the trash?! I've applied a Dynagro KLN diluted soak on them before the sphag and bag.. And I've left the majority of the leaves outside the ziplog where the high humidity is at... Mostly for the roots. Is that ok or should I try to stick my leaves in the bag too?

4. BryanL

BryanL Member

You need to put the whole orchid in the bag. It's the only way the orchid will survive with no roots. The leaves can absorb some moisture this way/ or it prevents them from drying out.