Acer palmatum 'First Ghost'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Aug 6, 2004.

1. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Thanks nelran! I get all of mine from "e-nurseries" because there are almost no cool varieties available around me...go figure. I'm about to order from Sam, so I just wanted to know about how big the sizes were...maybe I should email her.

Thanks,
    David

2. nelran

nelran Active Member

Well, David, certainly you can contact Sam. She's a very kindly person, and usually (if she's not too busy) she can send pics of the cultivars that you're looking for. (I prefer to see them before buy). Anyway, you can trust in her good taste for selection. I haven't been dissapointed with any of the JMs selected from her.
    Also, I have had very good feedback from Diana Smith (Topiary Gardens).
    I have a "wish list" of around 50 or 60 cultivars that I want to add to my collection, but buying all of them in 2-3 gal size it will cost me a little fortune... I list of course, includes "a must have" cultivars that I'm planning to add in that sizes, and others must be 1yr grafts (4") or 1 gal.... My next "ten" (hopefully) will be:

Japonicums/Shirasawanums (My favorites):
    1.-A.J. 'Attaryi'
    2.-A.J. 'Otaki'
    3.-A.J. 'O isami'
    4.-A.S. 'Palmatifolium'
    Palmatums:
    5.-'Komachi hime'
    6.-'Tana'
    7.-'Orange Dream'
    8.- 'Aoba jó'
    9.- 'Beni ubi gohon'
    10.- 'Germaine's Gyration'
    11.-'Wilson's Pink Dwarf'
    12.-'Murasaki kiyohime'

Upps... a dozen...

Nelson

3. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Wow Nelson, you have more than me! I have a "wish list" composed of approximately 19 cultivars that I either want or am getting...but I have a feeling that it will be getting larger with each passing year. I might ask Sam to send me a picture of Purple Ghost--I'm going to order that one within a month or two...as you said, they do cost a little fortune!

Well, I'm rambling, so I'll get off before I write a book!

Thanks,
    David

4. nelran

nelran Active Member

David take a look of Sam's pic from the post of Purple Ghost. The combination with First Ghost is astounding.
    I bet you gonna can't stop with only 19.... 'cause you already have the bug....as all of us! LOL.

Nelson

5. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Nelson, you're right...not I have 22, I think. Added 'Kawaii' (rare dissectum) and 'Red Feather' (another dissectum similar to Red Filigree Lace). Hope that rate doesn't continue...before long I'll have 50! LOL

David

6. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Well my list is changing--again--now I only have 14! I don't think that will last, though...

David

7. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Now David, I can't possibly imagine you stopping at 14! FOURTEEN?!

I have the following coming in this week:

ACER PALMATUM 'Utsu Semi'

ACER PALMATUM 'Yezo Nishiki'

ACER PALMATUM 'Wou Nishiki'

ACER PALMATUM 'Okushimo'

ACER PALMATUM 'Chishio Improved'

ACER PALMATUM 'Lemon Lime Lace'

ACER PALMATUM 'Misuho Beni'

ACER PALMATUM 'Sumi Nagashi'

ACER SHIRASAWANUM AUREUM 'Full Moon'

Does that list get your addicted heart racingagain?? C'mon, you WANT 50 cultivars like the rest of us crazy people! Its easy Dave.... Just pick up the phone....Call your favorite nursery....Say "I want to place an order".... Come on, Dave, you can do it!!

LOL,

K4

8. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hey K4,

Well, getting in that many can be a problem when you're 14 years old (almost 15) and don't have a steady income--but yes, I want about 50! By the way, I just got in Lemon Lime Lace--and it's beautiful! Wish that I could get that many in this week, though...most that I've ever gotten in in one week was three (and that was last week! Got in a Purple Ghost, Fairyhair, and Lemon Lime Lace) so yeah...

LOL

David

9. Kaitain4

Smack me silly! Well, I never thought about your age, young man! I think that's awesome that you're into it. I was into ferns when I was 15. Had a HUGE collection. Maples are my biggest addiction yet, I'm afraid. That happens when you're 50, are somewhat obsessive/compulsive, and have 22 acres just itching to get planted! After I get this order I'll have 57 varieties. I have another one slated for the fall that will bring it to 63. Sixty of those will have been bought this year! So, as you can see, I'm pathetically hooked!

Here's a link to some pix I took in early spring. This is before I really went bonkers for the maples. I had a few here and there, but nothing obsessive.

http://picasaweb.google.com/vincent.doug/JapaneseMaplesSpring08?authkey=IVSLC0ags4w

And here's a couple of links showing some projects I've been working on around the place. My neighbor, Jesse, just turned 18 and is helping me with one of them, along with some of his high school buddies. Anyway, this will give you a feel for "the spread", which I call Sunstone Farm.

Here's the first project:

http://picasaweb.google.com/vincent.doug/StoneWallConstruction

Here's the project Jesse is working on:

http://picasaweb.google.com/vincent.doug/RuinedWall

Regards,

K4

10. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hey K4,

Can I hire you to put together my photo album? Great stuff! Sam

11. Kaitain4

Sure Sam. But that will cost you a 'Fairy Hair' and a few other choice "babies" to put in my "puppy" collection!! ;-)

K4

12. Maple_Lady

Hey K4,

I checked out your other public photo albums and it lead me to a link with Google. I already have a Google account so I will try and see how long it takes me to prepare a album of JMs. Thanks, Sam

13. Kaitain4

Can't wait to see it! You'll love Picassa...

K4

14. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hello all,
    Well, what can I say? I have loved plants all of my life, and it was only a matter of time before I found Japanese Maples (which by far are my faves!) So yeah...I really want, like, 50, but the chances of me getting that many are like, 0. So I try to "prioritize" and go with the "must haves" list instead.

K4, beautiful pics! Like the Worldplants website--I've ordered 7 or so from them. I have a total of 12 right now. Great service and wonderful plants! In fact, that's where I just got in my Lemon Lime Lace! Right now it is a twig but soon it will be a nicely branced wonderful little tree. I just ordered Purple Ghost and Fairyhair from Sam @ Eastfork (and I hope you're listening Sam) and THEY ARE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLANTS THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! SAM HAS THE BEST QUALITY PLANTS!!!!! Anyways, K4, I would order from Sam.

Well, one of my church friends has a Picasa account and it is really cool! I like Picasa; I'll have to get one someday and load all of my JM pics up there...

Well cheers!
    David

15. Kaitain4

David,

Yes, Sam is an absolute ANGEL, and I have placed several orders with her. Undoubtedly, I will place many more!! She goes above and beyond to make sure the plants are healthy and delivered safely and on-time. Would recommend them to anyone!!! Love 'em! :-D

You will, one day, have your 50 maples young sir. It may seem like a long way off right now, but it will happen sooner than you think. Those of us who have begun to fossilize can attest to that fact! ;-) The secret to plants, in my experience, is to enjoy the moment. Even if you start with a tiny graft, there is so much to enjoy! The first new leaves; repotting; the daily tending; watching it grow, even planning a final home for your little treasure. These small things bring as much joy as having a large, mature specimen. Every time I get in a new tree, its like Christmas! To me, they're like puppies - you just can't help but fall in love with them! In fact, I call them 'puppy trees'!

So enjoy your 'puppies', each and every one, and enjoy your youth! If I had started with JMs at your age I would have trees that were 35 years old to admire! That would be a treat. But, as I said, it doesn't matter when you start, as long as you enjoy the journey! Hope yours is a good one!

Regards,

K4

16. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

K4,
    Thanks for all the "advice." It is much appreciated--I really do enjoy plants for all that they are worth--the growing, the watching, the developing--it is just fascinating to me! My "puppies" will be big "Greyhounds" soon enough! But I am enjoying them now, in all of their "Glory."

Cheers!
    David

17. Maple_Lady

Hi All,

I still have over 1000 liners to pot into one gallons. I am thinking of offering some of the rare ones on eBay. I don't normally do this, but I feel more confortable shipping them now during the summer rather than in the winter when they are dormant.

Uncle Ghost was one I posted on eBay, as well as a First Ghost. When I find time I will go through the 1000 and see what is what. As I said, I don't normally do this, I do prefer larger specimens, but there are those of you who enjoy finding a special baby or puppy to adopt. Me too. I just adopted two kitties, not babies. LOL

Love the comments and community we have formed in our love of these trees. Join the maple society if you can. It is an honor. Sam

18. Kaitain4

Sam,

I HATE ebay! HATE HATE HATE IT! I don't want to fight with someone for something I want. I don't want to wait for a week or two to find out if I "won" a bid. I just want to buy it, have it shipped and be done with it! Could you send your current customers a list of your new grafts and let us just buy them like normal people would at your nursery?

Thanks,

K4

P.S. Did I mention that I HATE ebay???!!!

19. Kaitain4

P.S.S. Sorry to spoil the happy mood. My ebay button got pushed! :-(

20. Kaitain4

P.S.S.S. Also, I forgot to say "Please"! :-D

21. Maple_Lady

Hi K4,

LOL, gee, I think you dislike eBay. :-)

I don't want to use this forum for selling, but you can visit my website at www.eastforknursery.com

Did I tell you that UBC forum members get 15% off website prices?

22. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hey Sam,
    are you going to sell your liners to us? I don't really know about ebay, and I don't think that I want to after what K4 said. Thanks!
    David

23. JoeMaple85

JoeMaple85 Active Member

Hey Sam...
    I know you don't want this forum for selling, but I couldn't resist . . .
    I would definitely be interested in your liners as well. pleeeeeaaase? =P

Johnny

It's worth a shot right? ;-)

24. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

uff !uff !Sam when have you international licence?

25. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

What are First Ghost's fall colors? Anybody got a picture?

David