Verticillium Wilt?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Laconic, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Laconic

Laconic Member

Hi,

I fear my Maple may have Verticillium Wilt but I am no expert. I have attached some pics. The symptoms incluse 2 branches with shriveled leaves, a rust like substance on the trunk and some scortching on some leaves. Can anyone confirm or tell me what the problem is? Is there anything I can do?

IMG_2910.JPG IMG_2911.JPG IMG_2913.JPG
    IMG_2914.jpg

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

hi you have read FAQ verticillum and relative?or in top page "bark issue"
    if you cut a little one branch you see brown in the centre?

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

It looks like the bark may be split on the main trunk and possibly wounded on the right side of the trunk ? Wondering how the other side looks and if it normally drops it's seeds this early.

4. Laconic

Laconic Member

I read the FAQ but would like some opinion based on my pics.

The bark is not cracked and there is no 'rust colour' on the other side of the trunk.

As for a cross section, the tree is quite young and all the thicker branches have leaves and i did not want to harm then. I used a 5 millimeter twig from the branch in my 2nd pic (hope thats acceptable) and here is what it looks like.

Attached Files:

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

uhmm..your maple is in not good health,sorry... the only way for me is several prune near the ground ,for me Verticilium.....
    good luck!

6. Big Red

Big Red Member

Try Phyton 27 as directed

7. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

The symptom: two wilted branches late spring/early summer, may (I say may) indicate Verticilium alboatrum. It is not clear whether the sections you show come from a diseased or a healthy branch, the pics do not show the darkening that would confirm the presence of the fungi.
    Many maples are affected by Verticilium alboatrum and survive, albeit with some disfiguring. My advice would be to prune the wilted branches (and others that may also wilt later) to a healthy looking pair of buds, water and nourish the tree, and wait.

Gomero

8. Laconic

Laconic Member

Thanks for the info Gomero! The clippings were from the dying branches. The whole tree has wilted looking leaves but only 2 branches have lost their leaves (so far). I'll read up on Verticilium alboatrum and see what this python 27 product is to.

9. Big Red

Big Red Member

Lacconic,

Look at the US version,i.e.label...It is different and email/phone the company and see if the Canadian version can be used the same way for Verticulum wilt. We all have different regulations. They have you do a drench on the plant. Otherwise remove it