Is there a solution to border Orange Lilies?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Mfederico, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Mfederico

Mfederico Member

Please help!
    I have purchased some orange lilies...needless to say I didn't know they were going to be minis. I just planted then about ends of April to beginnings of May, this year. They have begun to flower, and they look beautiful. But the location of them is not in a very good place, and I would like to move them up closerfor a better view or rather have them as a border. My question is, is it possible to re-dig and re-plant them? And how deep should I dig? Also how can I propagate to add more as borders? Thanks everyone!!

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

what kind of lily are they?

3. Mfederico

Mfederico Member

They look like tiger lilies...sorry

4. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

Lilies are so danged tough, if you water them well with a light fertilizer solution and dig them up carefully, disturbing the roots as little as possible, then transplant on a nice cool day, they will probably never miss a beat.

However, if you want to propagate, I would leave them in place, and divide them (assuming the clump is large enough) in the fall and THEN put them where you want them.

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

they haven't been there too long and moving them will disturb the roots (again) so i'd wait until the blooms are done with and then move them.

i agree that they are pretty darn hardy and can take a fair amount of abuse...still, no use chancing putting them under more stress at the moment (blooming takes a lot of energy).