Propagating Hoyas

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by jroger, Jun 14, 2008.

1. jroger

jroger Member

I have seen nothing on hoyashear,so i would like some input on propagation.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hoya is very easy to propagate by cuttings.

I've yet to find out how to pollinate the flowers to get the fruit to develop, though.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

hoya can be propogated from cuttings - you need to have at least two pairs of leaves on the piece and a node at the bottom that the roots can grow from. longer pieces generally do better.

i've rooted in both water and soil. water has worked better for me - that could just be they types that i received in trade though. most people root in soil.

4. Teddybear

Teddybear Member

I also find if you keep the humidity higher the cuttings will root faster. I mist my cuttings a couple times a day. Placing the cuttings in a large clear plastic bag,( don't allow the cuttings to touch the side of the bag) and open the bag accasionally to air out. Watch so they don't become too moist!! I have just rooted about 10 cuttings in the last 4-6 weeks, in soil.

5. koipondgardener

koipondgardener Active Member

I have rooted a broken portion (approx. 2ft long) in water before. It took about a month with frequent water changes to root out.

6. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

General info to anyone....
    I use an old fish tank. I had a piece of qtr. in. plastic cut to fit inside the rim to form a sort of seal. A layer of rocks in the bottom covered with water. It creates a great nursery, especially if you tend to 'try' to start lots of diferent plants.
    Barbara Lloyd