Diseased apple trees

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by smokinsiggy, Jun 14, 2008.

1. smokinsiggy

smokinsiggy Member

We have 6 apple trees growing in the yard of an unkown type. These trees have been neglected for several years and have some serious issues. They have produced apples every year for the last few but this year they all appear sick with ghostly white appearance to the leaves. Also one picture was a shot of a webbed bunch of critters that hatch black worms.

I have little experience with fruit trees and along side not far away we have a cherry orchard consisting of 125 Dwarf trees that are only going on 7 yrs old this yr. They are real healthy looking after some TLC the last few years.

My guess with the apple trees is fire blight. Please review my pics and I look forward to some kindly advice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  2. jascha

jascha Active Member

It just looks like there was some physical damage to the trunk at some point in it's past and now the trunk is rotting. It could be possible that the tree is in decline. If you like the apples from the tree, you might want to consider grafting a new tree from it. Fireblight usually works from the tips of the newest growth back towards older growth. You will see wilted tips on branches that look like they have been scorched if you have fireblight. The webbed worms nest is mostly likely tent caterpillers. Just remove the tent and squash as many of the caterpillers as you can.

3. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Howdy Smokinsiggy,
    The slivery sheen on the leaves could be caused by a fungal disease known as Silver Leaf. I don't know what's recommended in BC but in Alberta it's cut and burn. Having said that, I found that symptom does not always indicate the disease. Other symptoms to look out for in Silver Leaf is the peeling and rolling outwards of dead bark (only the thin outer skin) and white mushrooms growing on your trees. I know of trees that recover after a few years. I have one tree like that in my yard and all I did was sprayed it with complete water soluble fertilizer plus chelated iron and zinc. It's been over 10 years now and that tree is still alive and well. You might want to take Jascha's suggestion seriously - ie graft new trees if you like the apples.

Howdy Jascha,
    In Alberta we call that damage you discribed as "Lawn Mower Blight". Surprisingly common.

Peace
    Thean

4. smokinsiggy

smokinsiggy Member

Thanks for the response guys. Here is another couple of pics I missed. The one with the hole in the trunk, appears to go right down the center of the tree.

Perhaps grafting these trees would be beneficial. They taste great and the owners grandpa grew them with him when a kid. Sentimental value one could consider. LOL

This could very well be a fungus disease of some type, see moss growing on a few trees. Don't see any silver appearance but a white pale look to the leaves.

Thank you once again for your support.

Attached Files: