Aroid of the Week

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by lorax, Jun 9, 2008.

1. gypsytropicals

gypsytropicals Active Member

Oh Beth,

I hope you find this information interesting and exciting, and certainly not discourging.

This is great that you have added a lot of food for thought on another Anthurium. You are showing that the jungle has so much to offer, and we ALL have so much to learn.

Please keep up the good work!

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Works now! I wish there were pictures of the species, though, so that I could compare. A. pinkleyi and A. ternifolium are from the same range as the one we're currently calling A. truncicolum.

4. photopro

I still can't get it to open. Can someone post it one more time?

5. lorax

6. lorax

And no, Windy, I'm not at all discouraged by this! I'm just curious to know, so that I can get in-situ pics of them if / when I encounter them.

7. gypsytropicals

I think sometimes they all just get lumped together...maybe because of a lack of correct names or any name for that matter....

Steve, maybe this time it isn't a variance, but different species?????

I have a few Ecuadorian tri-lobes that all came with the name Truncicola, but they are (I hate to say it) different.

Maybe we should examine the stem, internode length, color of the new blade before it harden off, and of course the inflorescence (if the plant is old enough to produce one). If those factors pan out to be the same or similar then we can call it a variance, but if they differ.....probably a different species.....but, please remember, I'm just a layman, and contribute this as just a thought.

8. photopro

This is all I get! "We're sorry. We could not locate the resource you requested. If you believe this is in error, please contact us at helpdesk@allenpress.com. Be sure to include the complete URL you were attempting to access when you encountered this error. "

9. gypsytropicals

Steve,

Click on where Beth has written "you can try clicking here" ....it will take you straight to the abstract.

Glad to hear you are encouraged Beth. You sure are making it fun and educational for me!

10. photopro

Got it and just copied the entire file! Thanks! And Beth, you keep it up! I expect you to get a degree in botany and Dr. Croat will gladly help you out!

11. lorax

Grand, another degree. I'll add it to my collection!

12. photopro

On the thread I noted earlier re Section Meconostigma, you will find this note on that thread:

I must apologize and quite loudly!

We had over 60 visitors to our atrium last Sunday as a result of a paid tour sponsored by a local garden club. I charge nothing! The tour was done as a fund raiser for the garden club.

It appears someone changed the tags of two plants (possibly more) without my knowledge and despite the fact I asked repeatedly that no one touch the tags!

The photo below is correctly Philodendron lacerum. I THINK the photo I first posted on that thread, and have since changed the information, is Philodendron 'Evansii' which is a natural hybrid found in Ecuador, Brazil and Peru. The plant in the photo link at the top of that page COULD BE Philodendron 'Evansii'. Due to this confusion I must do more research to confirm the confusion.

Philodendron 'Evansii' is in fact a Meconostigma but is not a species. It is a combination of two natural plants that cross pollinated in the wild and one is Philodendron bipenidifidum. I have extensive notes on Philodendron 'Evansii' but at this time cannot be positive.

I assure you, I was basing my previous explanations on a tag that had been changed without my knowledge. Every time I allow visitors this seems to happen and I beg people not to touch the tags. But it happens every time I open the atrium to the public.

I am taking all the photos including those of Philodendron 'Evansii' to Dr. Croat for a confirmation and will report the findings in just over one week.

Attached Files:

13. gypsytropicals

Beth,

Did you receive the email I sent to you with the lengthy Semaeophyllum article?

If you did not, let me know and I will resend it.

Windy

14. lorax

Yes, Windy, I did. Thank you very much for that! I'll be on the lookout for those species next time I'm in the Mindo-Nanegal corridor, to see if I can turn up some in-situ photos of them.

15. lorax

Alrighty folks, despite prehistoric Internets the new Aroid is up.

Clicky Linky!

16. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Nice one Beth!!
    The spadix in pic 2 looks "bluer" than my purple one, maybe just a variation or did you "shop" this one ; )

Ed

17. lorax

Not shopped - just as it appeared. But the light here at latitude 0 is different from the light you get down in Oz, and this affects the perception of colours.

I think I may have mentioned it before, but things appear more brightly coloured in Ecuatorial sunshine.

18. lorax

And last friday's is up as well. I'm going to give up on it for a month in favour of taking more in-situ pics.