about waterfall/veridis

Discussion in 'Maples' started by mylesahead, Jun 15, 2008.

1. mylesahead

mylesahead Active Member

thank you all for answering my question about the tree that we purchased .was it a waterfall or veridis? we believe it is a waterfall.after seeing all the pictures and information that everyone supplied we decided its a waterfall.we are posting a picture of our tree. we purchased it on april 5th 2008,in a 20 gallon container and placed it in our garden that day.we placed it in the north eastern side of our yard.it gets full sun untill about 1.00pm then shade. we live south of boston zone 6.it is growing very well it seems.we water it every other day and give it between 5 and 10 gallons each time. is that enough? we put down 3 inches of pine bark mulch and the soil drains very well here.our temps here range from about 75 to 95 degrees. thanks again for all the info

Attached Files:

2. Worthy42

Worthy42 Active Member

What a great looking tree. And nice job positioning it WELL away from the house.

It looks like a waterfall to me. The location sounds and looks good. You may notice for a year or two that the tips of the leaves get burnt. The tree will likely adapt after a year or two - nothing to worry about as long as the entire leaves aren't getting fried and dropping. Personally, I would not water it any more than you are watering it. And obviously skip days of significant rain. After about a month or so, I think it should be fine on its own. Watering a japanese maple tree planted in the ground, every other day, five or ten gallons, for a significant period of time is not a good idea. That's too much water.