Aroid of the Week

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by lorax, Jun 9, 2008.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

OK, since the other thread has gone of on the ID of last week's aroid.... I'm open to suggestions as to which aroid I should be featuring for next Friday. I figure if we start the debate now, we might even have it ID'd in time for posting....

I'm quite partial to the one I have posted below, but if I can't figure it out, I'm going to go with the big Xanthosoma. My best guess is Anthurium trilobum.

Here's a question - was that debate over the birdsnest Anthuriums that we were having in regards to Ed and my plant ever resolved? Was it A. cubense or A. NOID?

Attached Files:

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

No it turned out to be A schlechtendalii!!!
    I bought another birds nest also, and Steve thinks it may be the same species, just a variable. But there are a few differences. I will try to get berries on that one also to confirm. I think there is a photo of it on here somewhere...
    Can't help with the id on this one, sorry...

Ed

3. lorax

Cool. I can use that for next week's AOTW, then. Because I think we resolved that you and I were growing the same species.

4. edleigh7

Yeah just double check, but I think you're right. BTW if you need photos, or different photos for your blog Beth, just let me know....

Ed

5. lorax

Thanks! I may just ask you for photos of the berries from A. schedtlandii - I moved before my spadices could mature.

6. edleigh7

Yeah I have a couple so just say the word!!

7. edleigh7

Beth I don't know where you got your spelling from, are you typing Spanish again ; )

Ed

8. trikus

trikus Active Member

WOW what a gorgeous plant ,, I love this sort of shape , it makes a great contrast to the normal .. I have seen it in one of my books ,, Anthurium truncicolum ??
    sorry got no time to look it up , am running late for work ,,,, again .. Tonight I will have a browse..

9. lorax

I love it too, Trikus - that was quite a mature specimen; the tree was some 80' high and it occupied ground-level to 50'.... When I get my own garden, I'll be taking a specimen for sure. A. truncicolum may well be it, but from leaf and inflorescence it also resembles A. moronense - yay for variability, eh? Although I'd almost expect it to be the former; A. moronense is named for the Ecuadorian province of Morona-Santiago, which is a great shout south of Pichincha, where this specimen lives.

10. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Mic, I think you've nailed it! This is another highly variable species and I have this form and one other which grows to be a giant in my collection. There is a page on my website that discusses the species. But the correct spelling according to Dr. Croat is Anthurium truncicola. For some reason it is often spelled on the net with an "m" as the last letter.

11. lorax

Thanks for that heads-up, Steve! I'll be featuring it this month, for sure....

12. photopro

One extra note. Dr. Croat told me late last year he has tried to successfully argue the second plant is a unique species but so far the "board" at the Kew has argued against accepting it as a new species. I do not know the status of that situation.

13. lorax

To clarify - which second plant? A. moronense? or am I missing something? In which case please enlighten me.

14. photopro

I'm copying your photo here so you can tell for certain.

Attached Files:

15. gypsytropicals

gypsytropicals Active Member

Hi Beth,

Did you say that this tri-lobed Anthurium was a climber? Did it have long internodes?

Windy

16. lorax

I can't recall offhand whether it did or not.... Next time I'm in Mindo I can check, though.

17. trikus

trikus Active Member

If it is 50' up a tree I would think it has fairly long internodes ..

18. gypsytropicals

Beth,

This is very interesting, as well as a beautiful plant! The reason I asked is because I didn't think Truncicola has long internodes. The plants I've seen IDed with this name have short internodes and are kind of self-heading. Please do understand though, the plants I see are not gigantic wild specimens.
    Tell me this, was it growing in a dark understory?
    How fortunate are you to see these plants first hand! I really appreciate you sharing them through photos with us. Please don't forget your camera the next time you return to Mindo.

trikus, just because it's up 50' doesn't necessarily mean it does have long internodes.
    I have seen (in Botanical Gardens)where a dispersed Anthurium seed lands in a tree crotch that has collected leaf litter, and the seed sprouts and grows from that point.

I am just trying to learn something........and think Beth is offering a great opportunity for me to do so.

19. lorax

This is growing in bright shade; the area next to it was cleared about 10 years ago to build the access road for the Refugio inside the Bosque Protector Mindo-Nambillo. If it had remained treed, it would have been in almost full shade; the trees there are primarily Cedron, Conambo, Sangre de Drago, Gallina, and Andean Walnut, which have very dense canopies and tend to make the understory quite dark. Well, that and the grand profusion of bromeliads and other epiphytes that these giants host....

I never forget my camera when I'm in the cloudforests - I never know what I might encounter, flora or fauna wise. Last time I went out without a camera, I ran into a rare mountain tapir, and cursed myself all the way home.

20. photopro

All I can say is Tom saw all my photos and has read the page on my site. He and I have discussed this many times.

21. lorax

Ah-hah; I'm reading your page right now and it's all coming clear to me! Sorry if I offended you.

EDIT - A. tricuncola is officially the Aroid of The Week. Linky Linky! I have decided to dedicate this month to the different forms and sections of the Anthuriums; hence, next week I'll be featuring something from Sect. Pachyneuria.

22. gypsytropicals

Beth,
    Check this out!

I did a little investigative work on the computer and came up with this....http://apt.allenpress.com/perserv then clicked on Archives and then scrolled down to Novon, then clicked on Vol.14, issue 4. There you will find an abstract of an article by Carlsen & Croat, "New Species of Anthurium sect. Semaeophyllium (Araceae) from Central & South America. They discuss three new tri-lobes from Ecuador, A. chimborazense, A. pinkleyi, and A. ternifolium.

Windy

23. photopro

Interesting, and you never offend me! You question me and that is always good! I question myself all the time and Tom likely gets tired of all my questions but never fails to answer. I'll read the link because it likely will fill in some "holes".

24. photopro

Windy, your link does not work. Can you post it again?

25. gypsytropicals

Whoops, sorry, let me try it again for you...I think I left something out.

My 10 month old kitten found out that he could pull the keys off my laptop key board when I accidentally left it open one day...now I have trouble typing some keys and if I don't double check my typing I leave some letters out. I guess it happened to me with this address.

Try is:
    http://apt.allenpress.com/perlserv then just go to Archives, and the rest of what I wrote earlier.