new help!!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by abby1040, Jun 10, 2008.

1. abby1040

abby1040 Member

I just got a dragon Japanese maple tree. I thought It was doing good but noticed leaves curling, wilting, drying, browning. I live in missouri the tree is in the front of my house not in shade. I have been watering it but not sure what I am doing wrong.. If anyone could help me that would be great I would hate for it to be dying. Thanks

2. mattzone5b

mattzone5b Active Member

How new is the JM? I suppose you are talking about 'Red Dragon' ? Is this tree in the ground or in a pot? Is the soil fast draining? How much water are you giving it? Have you checked moisture level with your finger or any other method?

All JM's need to acclimate to sunny conditions gradually. I usually keep them in the shade for 2 weeks after I receive them and then gradually give them morning sun. After I am sure they can take the sun in that location, I then remove from the pot and put in the ground (except in summer because its just too stressfull on the tree and it won't look good).

3. abby1040

abby1040 Member

I got the tree week ago. yes it's a red dragon. It's about 4 feet tall it was in a pot but when we got it we put in the ground. Yes the water is fast draining. I put mulch around it to help keep in the moister. I have felt the moister better now that I put the mulch down. Do you think it's just in shock but will live?

4. mattzone5b

mattzone5b Active Member

Yea, I think you did everything ok except you just planted in too hot of weather. It sounds like a healthy tree and probably will look better at the later part of summer. I imagine your tree will lose its leaves and grow new ones in the second growth push often seen in mid summer. Just keep it watered and be patient. Whatever you do, don't add fertilizer right now. It would just add to the shock of the tree. Was the root ball disturbed or left pretty much intact?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  5. abby1040

abby1040 Member

Left intact when put into the ground...

6. mattzone5b

mattzone5b Active Member

Yea, its got a good chance at recovery, sounds like its just wilting due to heat/sun.

7. Worthy42

Worthy42 Active Member

Did you plant it so it is a little above ground level?

8. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

Dont water the leaves directly except in the AM, IMO. It could have torched the leaves.

9. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

The tree was probably in a shaded location at the nursery where you bought it. Planting in full sun with no time for acclimation will often cause leaves to wilt. I won't plant a new tree in full sun without keeping it in a part sun/part shade location for a while, unless it's winter/early spring before it leafs out.