whats this Perennial ?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Sarosh, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Sarosh

Sarosh Active Member

I bought this plant 2 weeks ago from a nursery. It was in the section called "sun perennial" but without any tag.
    It was covered with blooms but I don't see new buds on it any more nor new leaves/branches growing. Its in direct sun light and I would hate if it will die now. I thought I was buying the one that will bloom through out the summer.
    If anyone can let me know its name, I will do more search to get more knowledge about it.

Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Delphinium--I think the are generally spring bloomers.

3. Ispied

Ispied Active Member

Here in Ontario some may be blooming, while in Burlington they are just budding.

4. Sarosh

Sarosh Active Member

Thanks Eric =) Now its easy for me to search more information.

Ispied: you are correct, Im in Ontario and blooming is almost over for them here as you can see from the pictures I posted. I really wish they bloom through out the summer but Oo well...lol

5. Ispied

Ispied Active Member

Actually the only ones I've seen blooming in my area and slightly north of Burlington are the ones in the nurseries. Nurseries bump start their plant or slow them down, if need be. Mine are just starting to bud.
    There are tall Delphiniums as well as shorter ones (usually called magic fountain). They are heavy feeders. I use compost, manure and a perennial fertilizer. Once they finish blooming, deadhead and there should be, but, not always a second flush of blooms. Generally not as large as the first.