Help about green stuff on Vanda roots?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by sainclara, Jun 7, 2008.

1. sainclara

sainclara Member

Hello ya'll!
    I have these green mossy looking things on the roots of both my vandas... yet they both seem like different kinds of green?!? The first three attachments are on the roots of my Vanda Ascocenda Jose Coronado... the lighter greyish green stuff... ???
    And the last two attachments show the bright green stuff on the roots of my Vanda Blue Tahourdin.. Both are blooming right about now, but these moss looking things are bothering me?! What are they? And how do I get rid of it?? I plan to repot these vandas after they're done blooming so maybe it'll be a good chance for me to get rid of that green stuff on the roots?
    Should I be worried about our health since they both stay indoors in front of a humidifier?

Thanks a bunch!

Attached Files:

2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

The first pics look like mold on the roots (I've never seen that on a Vanda basket before) while last pics look like algae on otherwise healthy roots (very common on Vandas and other orchids). I would be very concerned with the mold as that is unhealthy for you as well as your orchid.

Shaun

3. sainclara

sainclara Member

Just what I feared!! I guess I should try repotting that vanda? And what do I do to remove that mold? Coz washing it won't cut it right??

4. sainclara

sainclara Member

What do you think about PHYSAN 20...?? Will that kill my blooms?? (yea... forgot to tell u this vanda is now in bloom)