Bonsai grapevine care

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Mary88um, May 28, 2008.

1. Mary88um

Mary88um Member

Hello all

I'm Mary and I'm new to this forum. I have a grape vine bonsai also that my boyfriend gave to me for an anniversary. It was doing well in the beggining, but now some of its leaves are are drying out. It is sprouting new leaves right now, but some of its big ones are all dry, and brown around the edges and they could just crumble off. I'm not really sure if it's only due to not being watered enough or maybe something else. I live in Miami and it's summer and temperatures are about the 80's and 90's at the moment. I have my bonsai outside in the backyard in partial shade and sun. I don't know if I should prune off those leaves that are drying off because they look really bad.

I really don't know much about plants...and I want my bonsai to survive because it was a special gift. I would really appreciate some tips.

Is there a specific type of fertilizer that I should use? I don't know what I can do to help my tree.

Here are some pictures of my bonsai and what's happening to the leaves. I really hope someone can tell me what's wrong and help. I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Possibly magnesium deficiency, but don't take my word for it - get some direct expert advice. This plant is way outside "normal" grape growing practice.

Ralph

3. bonsai MD

bonsai MD Member

try sprinkling a little epsom salts on the soil around the edges of the pot. that should provide any lacking trace minerals to your specimen. dont put on a whole lot though.

4. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    Very interesting suject for a Bonsia. Usually plants use for Bonsias are small leaved or ones that end up that way.