Identification: Plant name? What are those brown sticks? See Picture please

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by KelliMcG, Mar 3, 2005.

1. KelliMcG

KelliMcG Member

One more please....

Altough this plant is holding it's own, it's been by sheer luck. I have no idea what this is... The biggest puzzle to me is those brown stick-like things growing out of it.
    This plant has a kind of a "knot" where all the stems come out of... I may be showing my botanical ignorance here, but I have no idea what those brown sticks are...

Can someone please clue me in as to the name of this plant, why it's growing in a knot and most importantly, what are those brown sticks?

Thank you so much!

Kelli

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Aerial roots. Your plant needs to be watered, by the way.

3. KelliMcG

KelliMcG Member

Thank you!

Thanks for your response. Obviously, I'm pretty new to the plant world, only about five years, so I don't know much yet...

I will research what "Aerial Roots" are all about, because I have never had a plant do this before....

Also, this is the only plant that is bone-dry a day or two after watering... I am now watering it daily but I read that this can kill a plant, so I don't know... I just go by gut... It is pretty shocking though, to find the plant bone-dry the next day after watering... I don't have too many plants that dry out that quickly...

Thanks for your time!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Moving it on to a bigger pot would reduce the watering frequency for awhile. You can also insert a support for it to grow on at the same time. Look up Monstera deliciosa, that may be what this one is called.

5. Philodendron?

I think it's a Philodendron species, since it's not beefing up like a Monstera (they become bushes, self-supporting). It's a good sign, by the way, that your plant dries up a couple days after watering. That means the roots are soaking up almost all the water and filling up the plant= the roots are healthy. The idea to stake it is a great one, and more light, humidity. That plant will grow huge and lush if you let it.

6. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

that is a split leaf philodendron .. Monstera Deliciosa .. it needs to b watered good at first .. mayb get it in another pot but make sure the spoil around that plant now is moist .. and stake it .. and aslo it likes bright light .. looks like it needs more light .. and when the leaves get bigger u will get splits in it .. it can grow to b a very big plant ..
    good luck with it

Marn