What is this yellow-ish stuff on the soil?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Sandra75, May 30, 2008.

1. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

My mom's plant keeps on getting that yellow-ish stuff right at the bottom of her plant, on the soil. We keep on taking it out, but it always comes back. Anyone knows what it is? And what we should do about it? Thanks, Sandra :)

Attached Files:

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Could be that the soil is staying wet and causing a mold/fungus to form. Try scooping out about two inches of the top soil and replace with new dry soil if you need to cover up any roots and let the soil dry out more.
    If the soil is heavy, and/or is not draining as well as it should, (pot should have drain holes) that could be another reason for the problem. Make sure your ficus elastica is where it has enough space around it where it will get a good air flow.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  4. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

Thank you! I'll take a peak at your link!

5. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

Unless it really is a fungus... I never would have thought it so. Sometimes that occurs on the soil/brown stained perlite that's mixed in ordinary potting mix. I always thought it was just a soil stain or old potting mix - maybe a stain from fertilizer also.

Anyone with any suggestions? I am curious if it actually is a fungus, or not.

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The ones in my containers look like those in the pictures in the link I provided upthread. There's no doubt they are fungal judging by the appearance and in particular the smell.

7. Flaxe

Flaxe Active Member

Yes, the link within your link provided here surely is fungal. But I wasn't sure about Sandra's as I see those quite often over a period of weeks and months at the greenhouse... it doesn't quite grow into anything fluffy or fuzzy or that invasive. So I wonder. If it is fungal in Sandra's photo or not, and if hers has an odor.