What the heck is this?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by spaz, Aug 8, 2004.

1. spaz

spaz Member

I'm pretty sure it is a prickly pear. I don't want to start munching on it unless I am completely sure. After lots of research, I'm still not quite sure if it is or is not a prickly pear.

If it is a prickly pear, then when do I know when the fruit is ripe? You won't see as many in the pictures I attatched as there are now, but the pads have multiple green tubulars where they have flowered and the flowers have fallen off. In the attachment you can see one flower.

We just bought a home in west central WI, and we have a total of six cactus in our yard. First of all, what is it, and secondly how do I take care of them, thirdly can I eat it?

thanks all

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

perhaps an Opuntia species? We have some around here that are (borderline) hardy.

3. I thought so? When do the fruit become ripe? How do you know?

4. spaz

spaz Member

I was pretty sure it was . . . . I'm hoping for some more insight. A yes or no. We are in north west Wisconsin, so it is somewhat odd to have these cacti doing so well here. The home is 30 years old, and they have been here for 28. The older people we bought the house from told us a little story about them. Apparently they did nothing to care for them. Didn't cover them in winter, didn't water them, didn't really do anything. Hardy little buggers for sure.

I'll get more pictures if it would help.

5. Chiko2222

Chiko2222 Member

they look alot like the pickly pear cacti that we have here in Colorado

6. Chiko2222

Chiko2222 Member

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Possibly Opuntia humifusa. Many cacti are hardy, what they don't like is winter dampness.