Identification: Another mystery plant to ID

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by delyn101, Mar 1, 2005.

1. delyn101

delyn101 Member

I had a houseplant a few years ago that brought me unexpected pleasure. At first I thought it was a wandering jew, but I've since looked at pictures of wandering jews and discovered that my plant was not one. It had small green succulent type leaves, (less than half the size of wandering jews). After I had had it a while imagine my amazement to discover that it also had small magenta flowers. These small flowers had many long thin petals, and the thing that intrigued me the most was that during the day they were in full bloom, but at night they closed back up again. I had to move from Denver, CO and so gave the plant away, thinking I would get another when I got to where I was going. Unfortunately I haven't seen one since. Does anyone know what this plant is called or where I might get one.

After searching the internet I believe I have ID the plant I was looking for. Here are some pictures of Aptenia cordifolia AKA Baby Sun Rose. Thanks anyway.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It's a mesemb (ice plant, Hottentot fig etc). Don't know which one, there are many.

3. hippobroma

hippobroma Member

Family Aizoaceae (Ficoidaceae) includes genus Mesembryanthemum. Yes, it's a Baby Sun Rose. You can propogate it if you're lucky by breaking bits off, letting them dry out a bit, and sticking them in some suitable soil. The bigger ones, like the Hottentot fig, have much larger leaves. Here in U.K. they (Hottentot figs) usually grow by the sea, but the Baby Sun Roses are tender and need to be kept indoor over winter.

4. delyn101

delyn101 Member

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the vote that my id was correct. It always helps to verify your findings.

5. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

delyn101 - The sun rose in the photo makes a great ground cover. A cutting poked in the ground here in West Central Florida will take off and multiply like crazy. They grow well in alkaline as well as acid soil. Pretty, aren't they?

6. delyn101

delyn101 Member

Thanks for the info Chuck. I'm assuming this is a succlent, right? Like a cactus they should grow well in desert like conditions?

7. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

delyn101: Pretty much. Once established, they are quite drought tolerant. Same plant but a different color is also available. It has bright yellow flowers. Might make a nice contrast, if you can find it. - - Chuck

8. delyn101

delyn101 Member

Thanks again for the info Chuck. Will try to cultivate new clippings and transplant outdoors. Yellow sounds nice, but I prefer the hot pink. Just beautiful.