Mystery Succulent

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by LadyMadHatter, Feb 17, 2008.

1. LadyMadHatter

LadyMadHatter Member

I received this little guy almost 2 years ago when some bio students were giving away some plants from the campus greenhouse. It's done okay so far but I think I might be able to take better care of it if I knew exactly what it was. Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

• succ.jpg
      succ.jpg
      File size:
      367.6 KB
      Views:
  2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i have the same thing - was not able to get an id other than it's a crassula.

needs very bright light, from my experience.

3. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

This looks more like a Sedum to me. Hard to say in its condition (elongated -lack of enough sun, as Joclyn commented), but could be S. nussbaumerianum. With a brighter growing spot, the leaves would be more compact & it might flower for you. When is flowers, you'll have a chance for a more positive ID.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

*waves to rosemarie*

you know what? i spoke incorrectly, that one was id'd as a sedum (not crassula) when i posted it on the other forum...lol, and by rosemarie, too :)

sorry for giving you incorrect info, ladymadhatter!!

5. Bambi

Bambi Active Member

These look like two different plants.

The one on the left looks like some type of Sedum, possibly one of the "donkey tail" varieties. I'm thinking S. burrito or S. morganianum. The one on the right is either a type of Graptopetalum or Echeveria.

Both very easy to propagate, in the spring time you can cut off those long stems and put the heads in soil to form roots for a more attractive look. Move them closer to the window, and they will look their best. Any fallen leaves will form new plants.

Cheers
    -Bambi

6. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Definitely not a Crassula, Sedum nussbaumerianum, Sedum morganianum or Sedum burrito.

It is either a Graptopetalum or X Graptosedum hybrid so poorly grown that it is impossible to ID with certainty. Its not doing okay. Looks like it was give too much water and not enough light to produce normal growth.

BTW, Sedum nussbaumerianum has shiny yellowish leaves not glaucous ones.

7. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

The pot looks too big for just those two plants. A smaller porous clay pot that breaths is much better for succulents.

8. SweetyMargie

SweetyMargie Member

This post is probably no help because the original post date is months ago, but I think Steve and Bambi are right that it's a Graptopetalum, specifically Graptopetalum paraguayense. The leaves are pointed the wrong way for a Burro's/Donkey's tail.
    At any rate, Joclyn is right that they need bright light. At least bright light certainly helped my guy, which looks a lot like yours.