Palm Tree Identification

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by 10°Palms, Apr 19, 2008.

1. 10°Palms

10°Palms Member

I am in Maui (left before the snowfall :') and would like to know exactly which palms are in this picture.

pic10.jpg

I am thinking that the tallest are Coconut Palms, Maybe Washintonia Robusta by the pool? a Trachy in front of those and then 1 that I am not sure of.

Here are some closer shots

pic8.jpg

Robusta?

pic14.jpg

Trachy F?
    pic6.jpg

Unknown... not sure.

Thanks
    -10°Palms

2. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

1. The tall ones are indeed coconuts. Not sure what the smaller ones are.

2. Ahhh. I'm thinking Pritchardia, possibly one of the species native to Hawaii.

3. Washingtonia for sure. Probably W. robusta.

4. Someone will figure out this crownshaft palm from its inflorescence.

3. 10°Palms

10°Palms Member

Pritchardia sp. Loulu, I looked this up and it does look exactly what is by the pool.

Thanks
    10°Palms

4. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

There is a booklet on palms available in some of the corner stores $6-7.00. It's not bad.
    If you want to see a great collection of palms & plants in general go to Tropical Plant Nursery Iao Rd. You can't miss it - it's the one with the palm trees out front. Best garden I seen on Maui. There is a bit of a guide available. Say hello to the Jade Vine for me.

5. honolua

honolua Active Member

Aloha! My "home away from home"; addicted to Maui! In any case, the last picture you have at the bottom of the neat little palm with the clean shaft is a "Manilla Palm" (also known as Christmas Palm due to the red flowers/berries that show up during the winter months). It is "Veichia Merillii" now; old name Adonidia Merillii. They do not grow in most parts outside of tropical/subtropical due to the need for warm temps, and not overly rainy conditions where it would rot. I have looked at getting one myself, but alas, it would be for indoor only......"Gardenworks" here in Burnaby BC has some clustered for sale....but you would need a very tall ceiling to accomodate it indoors...if you are in an appropriate climate, go for it! They are very popular on the Islands as they only grow to 15 feet, are disease resistant, and clean. Used everywhere for landscaping.
    Aloha!

6. 10°Palms

10°Palms Member

Thats it!... although searching the old name brings up more information. I figured they must be native because they are absolutely everywhere. This is my first time here and it is absolutely beautiful.. I don't think I want to leave.

Thank you!

-10°Palms

7. honolua

honolua Active Member

Aloha again!
    Yes, Maui is heaven..and quite different from the other islands. The Manilla palms are quite ideal. They don't get too large, are very resistant to just about everything but Pacific Northwest Climate; too bad!!!!!! I would love to have one, and did get very excited at seeing them in Gardenworks, even if they are 3-4 per pot and no singles; they also look quite different when not fully grown. It is unfortunate that we can't grow them here!
    You can go to "rare palm seeds.com" and order some on occasion, but again, years down the road, if your germination is successful, you need a very tall home to keep them indoors!

What is really interesting is how common they are there, as you have mentioned. They are at least $200 here, when available. I did go to a nursery on Maui, and for ones about 4 feet tall, 10-20 gallon pots, they were $20.00!!! They would not ship, due to phytosanitary certificate issues, of course. They did not have any seeds for travel either.

Oh well, guess we have to go back there to see them! Shucks......

8. LoongKen

LoongKen Member

I'm pretty sure that the second palm is Prichardia thurstonii, a non-Hawaiian species. It's from Fiji. The Hawaiian name for palms of the genus Prichardia is lou, pronounced "low-LOO."

9. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

They are all beautiful Palms and I would love to go to Maui to see them, but the third pic looks like a royal palm or possiblely a christmas tree palm.

Tom24

10. LoongKen

LoongKen Member

The third one is a "Manila" palm,. I think it is called "christmas tree" palm some places. I see I made a mistake in my earlier post. Pritchardia sp. are called loulu, in Hawaiian. Somebody else noted that, as well.